• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Freedom Convoy protests [Split from All things 2019-nCoV]

Mind you, it's suburban Ottawa that has prevented an eastern bridge from being built for many years, contributing to the chaos.

Yeah, those evil Ottawa suburbanites screwing over the gentry of downtown. How dare democracy allow such a thing here in Canada! Ottawans downtown pay their taxes and deserve not to be inconvenienced. That should only happen to citizens in rural or remote areas and when it’s First Nations or environmentalists protesting and blocking roads or railways.

It's Vanier and Orleans specifically that have prevented new bridges, keeping the central bridges as choke points.

But I think getting into Ottawa's internal politics is a slight digression...

So one of the angriest people I've heard from today is a delivery driver here in Ottawa, who couldn't get his deliveries done, and got harassed by a bunch of Proud Boy types for not looking white enough.

If you look at a map of Ottawa and try and find a way to get from one side of the city to the other, or from Ottawa to Gatineau (or vice versa) you'll see how big an impact it is snarling up downtown. They've shut down the major thoroughfare that all the public transit runs through and any truck drivers in the city have to fight through, so good job.

I'm also tired of COVID, and the mandates and everything else, and was looking forward to Ontario easing things off again today, and being able to maybe see some friends, but now I can't because of people protesting against the mandates/vaccines/the moon/the colour yellow.

You get kind of used to large protests downtown here in Ottawa, but this is the first time I remember people being angry at one.

Wouldn't be surprised if this actually delays restrictions easing because they don't want the perception that they caved to demands from a collection of assholes, so thanks FluTruxKlan.
Except the restrictions are eased, and you could take a few extra minutes to get together with your friends if it mattered to you...

Here is a convenient link to the Government of Ontario site that lists restrictions, followed by the City of Ottawa restrictions.

COVID-19 public health measures and advice

Provincial and City rules | City of Ottawa

It's Vanier and Orleans specifically that have prevented new bridges, keeping the central bridges as choke points.

But I think getting into Ottawa's internal politics is a slight digression...
Can't have a new bridge in Vanier, might interfere with shutting down Montreal Rd. for never ending construction :ROFLMAO:

And connecting it to a N/S road built specifically to serve as a connection would be illogical...

Yeah, those evil Ottawa suburbanites screwing over the gentry of downtown. How dare democracy allow such a thing here in Canada! Ottawans downtown pay their taxes and deserve not to be inconvenienced. That should only happen to citizens in rural or remote areas and when it’s First Nations or environmentalists protesting and blocking roads or railways.
May I please remind you that:

All animals are equal but some are more equal than others​

You're welcome:LOL:

…but also very careful not to cede any validity in regard to the peaceful majority’s concerns. He spent more time critiquing the Opposition Leader’s words, even though those words included element that many here as well have acknowledged as valid.

Strange that many here going hard on the overall effort then follow up with an “I’m frustrated too and can’t wait for these restrictions to end…” but then of course, get back on to the “inconveniencing” storyline.

Of course everyone is sick and tired of ongoing public health measures. I don't know anyone who isn't.

But the vast majority of people aren't resorting to what has essentially become a very public temper tantrum that lacks a coherent message, and coherent goals.

As many here have pointed out, whatever the original intent was has been drowned out - not only by a small minority of bad actors, but by incoherent and unrealistic goals.

Premiers and provincial public health officials were already planning incremental relaxing of restrictions, with some even musing about moving back to normalcy by learning to "live with COVID". Does anyone really believe that these protests will accelerate that process?

Everyone wants to get back to normal, and I acknowledge that a lot of people are angry, but protests like this won't make it happen any sooner.

Of course everyone is sick and tired of ongoing public health measures. I don't know anyone who isn't.

But the vast majority of people aren't resorting to what has essentially become a very public temper tantrum that lacks a coherent message, and coherent goals.

As many here have pointed out, whatever the original intent was has been drowned out - not only by a small minority of bad actors, but by incoherent and unrealistic goals.

Premiers and provincial public health officials were already planning incremental relaxing of restrictions, with some even musing about moving back to normalcy by learning to "live with COVID". Does anyone really believe that these protests will accelerate that process?

Everyone wants to get back to normal, and I acknowledge that a lot of people are angry, but protests like this won't make it happen any sooner.
Sometimes people just need to scream out their frustration. This is a scream.

Great way to win hearts and minds.
The whole hearts and minds thing doesn't work very well.
Liberals aren’t being inconvenienced, parliament still happened today. But bars, restaurants, gyms all scheduled and planned to reopen today in that area did not.

You're right the LPC are not inconvenienced at this time. It's only been 3 days.
People will continue to get more and more pissed off and start demanding action.

Speaking of which Trudeau is refusing to speak to these guys and girls. That's hardly open minded or conducive of resolving conflict. It generally has the opposite effect.

In fact, I would suggest it's almost like he's refusing to speak with them in order to ramp things up on purpose and really get tempers really flying.

The whole hearts and minds thing doesn't work very well.

You're right the LPC are not inconvenienced at this time. It's only been 3 days.
People will continue to get more and more pissed off and start demanding action.

Speaking of which Trudeau is refusing to speak to these guys and girls. That's hardly open minded or conducive of resolving conflict. It generally has the opposite effect.

In fact, I would suggest it's almost like he's refusing to speak with them in order to ramp things up on purpose and really get tempers really flying.
Didn’t he get rocks thrown at him once? I don’t think these people want to actually talk to him to be honest.

Didn’t he get rocks thrown at him once? I don’t think these people want to actually talk to him to be honest.
There are ones he could find who would talk. If he had gone the O'Tool route, and sought them out, rather than waiting until they were entrenched and angry he would have had better luck though.

Reactions: QV

Speaking of getting back to normal:
Health officials are hinting at ending COVID restrictions (and not because of the truckers)

There are ones he could find who would talk. If he had gone the O'Tool route, and sought them out, rather than waiting until they were entrenched and angry he would have had better luck though.
Maybe. Btw it seems that O’toole may be out as leader. Just breaking now.

The more I think about it, the more the incoherence and fringyness of this protest reminds me of Occupy back in the day. You just need them to start pitching tents on Parliament Hill and a “peoples’ microphone” to argue minutiae of their manifesto with each other.

The more I think about it, the more the incoherence and fringyness of this protest reminds me of Occupy back in the day. You just need them to start pitching tents on Parliament Hill and a “peoples’ microphone” to argue minutiae of their manifesto with each other.
Actually you aren’t far off the mark with that comparison.

Back