• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Freedom Convoy protests [Split from All things 2019-nCoV]

From the images I saw on TV, it was an above average sized protest on the weekend. I've been to NHL games with bigger crowds, though (well, maybe not in Ottawa...)

That's not how a successful protest against the government works though. You need to inconvenience citizens to the point where the apply an over abundance of pressure on the government to make a deal, meet demands, arrest them etc..
Right. Hurt the people they are purporting to be fighting for.

Should work out fine then.

You mean the people don't generally don't give a fig about truckers and just see them always as inconvenience on the highway. A lot of average Canadians went out in the cold and showed their support. the people in Ottawa generally work for the big machine or provide services to it, so in a way they are part of the problem as well in the truckers mind. Ottawa as a whole is the "Great Hive mind" to most other Canadians.

Yea you're not wrong brother.

As you're aware the Liberals were elected even though they didn't have a majority of the votes. Lots of Canadians have reason to be upset (I have over $10K myself). It's safe to suspect some of the people there have a number of reasons to see the Liberals inconvienced and under pressure which aren't directly mandate related.

The Liberals aren't shy about name calling and accusing people of being unCanadian. That tends to piss people off.

What did Trudeau snicker about? "You're not in Alberta anymore". Guess some of them came to him. Little reap what you sow on the menu.

Right. Lay siege to your own people in their capitol city, and cut the lines of supply to the rest of the country.

Great way to win hearts and minds.

The Teamsters union has the right to strike. But, they didn't call for a strike. And do not support this, whatever it is called.

This is political. That is why we have elections.

Those same businesses that were demanding that federal government workers go back to work in their offices, because they wanted federal civil servant pay in their pockets? You'll forgive me if I shed no tears for them...

Seems like exactly the group of businesses to put pressure on if you want change though.

From the images I saw on TV, it was an above average sized protest on the weekend. I've been to NHL games with bigger crowds, though (well, maybe not in Ottawa...)
To be fair as far as a protest goes it is fairly large by any standard Ottawa usually sees. In another lifetime I worked on parliament hill through countless protests big and small. I would classify this as big.

But I’ve seen far larger crowds on Canada day. And have worked many of those as well. And in fairness to the more or less peaceful nature of this one, there were far more drunk people, fights, public urination and minor vandalism on Those Canada day celebrations.

I will concede that.

But it lasted one night. And businesses and services were not shut down and emergency workers were never blocked.

Those same businesses that were demanding that federal government workers go back to work in their offices, because they wanted federal civil servant pay in their pockets? You'll forgive me if I shed no tears for them...

Seems like exactly the group of businesses to put pressure on if you want change though.
Wow.

I live in Ottawa and I have been inconvenience by this protest. Point has been made. Trudeau is not going to meet the protesters. I want the protesters to go home.

I understand what the truckers want and I want to return to life before it was too. I am mindful of how important truckers are in the supply chain.

I'm tired of the restrictions.
I'm tired of having to go through the same cycle of restrictions, loosening of restrictions, back to restrictions within a few months.
I'm tired of the media looking for the looney or the most awkward looking person in crowd and construe that this person represents the entire protest movement.
I'm tired of Trudeau smearing the truckers as a lunatic, racist fringe element.
I'm tired of seeing the truckers go into small businesses without wearing masks and them being rude to the employees there.
I'm tired of truckers parking in residential neighbourhoods, like where I live and leaving their trucks running.
I'm tired of hearing honking horns in our neighbourhood.
I'm tired of the protest leadership and their participants of not being able to isolate and remove the racist, far right elements hiding in the protest.
I'm tired of the protesters blocking streets since Friday, 28 Jan.
I'm tired of how the Canadian, Ontario and Québec Flags are being mistreated

and most of all I protest at seeing a picture of a male protester wearing a black thong in the National Post report today. It was an image that I can never erase from my innocent and pure mind.

Last edited:
The Liberals aren't shy about name calling and accusing people of being unCanadian. That tends to piss people off.
Today was the first time I heard the PM publicly mention the tin foil hat crowd. This was in reference to the truckers.

Yea you're not wrong brother.

As you're aware the Liberals were elected even though they didn't have a majority of the votes. Lots of Canadians have reason to be upset (I have over $10K myself). It's safe to suspect some of the people there have a number of reasons to see the Liberals inconvienced and under pressure which aren't directly mandate related.

What did Trudeau snicker about? "You're not in Alberta anymore". Guess some of them came to him. Little reap what you sow on the menu.
I get that. But he was still legally and democratically elected. I didn’t vote for him and don’t plan to vote for him if he runs again. One of the reasons is his language. But as someone said, that’s why we have elections.

Liberals aren’t being inconvenienced, parliament still happened today. But bars, restaurants, gyms all scheduled and planned to reopen today in that area did not.

and most of all I protest at seeing a picture of a male protester wearing a black thong in the National Post report today. It was an image that I can never erase from my innocent and pure mind.
I didn't see it and it's stuck in my mind. Thanks a lot!

Suddenly, protestors setting up shop in major traffic areas stopped being something we should tolerate.
I sure the people in Ottawa are shedding a tear for the commuters blocked by a bunch of greenie nutbars in Vancouver, something we had to deal with a lot more than Ottawa does. These nutbars are more or less encouraged by the Libs, NDP and Green Party.

You mean the people don't generally don't give a fig about truckers and just see them always as inconvenience on the highway. A lot of average Canadians went out in the cold and showed their support. the people in Ottawa generally work for the big machine or provide services to it, so in a way they are part of the problem as well in the truckers mind. Ottawa as a whole is the "Great Hive mind" to most other Canadians.
So one of the angriest people I've heard from today is a delivery driver here in Ottawa, who couldn't get his deliveries done, and got harassed by a bunch of Proud Boy types for not looking white enough.

If you look at a map of Ottawa and try and find a way to get from one side of the city to the other, or from Ottawa to Gatineau (or vice versa) you'll see how big an impact it is snarling up downtown. They've shut down the major thoroughfare that all the public transit runs through and any truck drivers in the city have to fight through, so good job.

I'm also tired of COVID, and the mandates and everything else, and was looking forward to Ontario easing things off again today, and being able to maybe see some friends, but now I can't because of people protesting against the mandates/vaccines/the moon/the colour yellow.

You get kind of used to large protests downtown here in Ottawa, but this is the first time I remember people being angry at one.

Wouldn't be surprised if this actually delays restrictions easing because they don't want the perception that they caved to demands from a collection of assholes, so thanks FluTruxKlan.

Mind you, it's suburban Ottawa that has prevented an eastern bridge from being built for many years, contributing to the chaos.

Today was the first time I heard the PM publicly mention the tin foil hat crowd. This was in reference to the truckers.
…but also very careful not to cede any validity in regard to the peaceful majority’s concerns. He spent more time critiquing the Opposition Leader’s words, even though those words included element that many here as well have acknowledged as valid.

Strange that many here going hard on the overall effort then follow up with an “I’m frustrated too and can’t wait for these restrictions to end…” but then of course, get back on to the “inconveniencing” storyline.

Back