• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Freedom Convoy protests [Split from All things 2019-nCoV]

Well according to the emails I am getting from the "National Observer" , the convoy is an evil plot between Trump and Harper, because everything is their fault, always.

The former guys may be relevant to some, but Maverick Party Secretary Tamara Lich seems more closely associated with the "Freedom Convoy".

Whoever gets the credit, if they get our federal, provincial and municipal governments to "let Covid rip", they can call it a
( Pyrrhic? ) victory.

They interviewed a lady today at Keele and 401 said she was there because the City of Toronto fired her, and she was hoping the convoy would get her job back. Good luck with that.

If you have 15 min, and are willing to listen Russel Brand has an interesting video on the convoy. His point about how narratives are created is something that has been discussed here before, but it's nice to see a more progressive leaning person tackle it as well.

Unless he's now Alt-right, along with Joe Rogan....

I struggle with RB. Not his stance on this just his presentation and voice lol cuts right through me.

Yup, the smartest, richest, most inventive idiot going. Twitter and the left don't like him because he speaks truth and pragmatism to the ignorant.

Found this interesting. Agree that Musk is a pragmatist; anti-mandate, but pro-vaccine.

"Musk told Time last month in an interview after he was selected a "Person of the Year" that he and his eligible children are all vaccinated because the science is "unequivocal" but said he is opposed to mandates."

Found this interesting. Agree that Musk is a pragmatist; anti-mandate, but pro-vaccine.

"Musk told Time last month in an interview after he was selected a "Person of the Year" that he and his eligible children are all vaccinated because the science is "unequivocal" but said he is opposed to mandates."

According to mariomike and America's Meriam-Webster dictionary, that would make Musk an anti-vaxxer ;)

I don't think I have read a defintion of anti-vaxxer in any of our Covid discussions, so I looked it up in the dictionary,

Definition of anti-vaxxer

: a person who opposes the use of vaccines or regulations mandating vaccination

Of course, this definition is not what is found in Canada's Oxford English Dictionary, so he would only be considered an anti-vaxxer in the U.S.

According to mariomike and America's Meriam-Webster dictionary, that would make Musk an anti-vaxxer ;)

Whatever. ;)

No mandate = Let it rip.

Edit to add,

Here we go, again, with the dictionary.

Mandate:
The authority to carry out a policy or course of action, regarded as given by the electorate to a candidate or party that is victorious in an election.
No mandate = no "authority to carry out a policy or course of action, regarded as given by the electorate to a candidate or party that is victorious in an election."

Brad Sallows....I just read your postscript. "Despair is a sin" Thank you for that. It got me thinking. And about this thread. You are right. I have been too down. Mental Health tip for friday!

This may be just an opinion, but it's probably not far from what's happening.

It's not vaccines but anger that's fuelling trucker protest

Be interesting to know how many 18-wheelers are doing their jobs. Same as they do every day, around the clock.

By the number of four-wheelers with "F🍁CK Trudeau" flags, it looks - to me - like a temper tantrum about the last three federal elections.

I say that because when they were firing unvaccinated city employees by the hundreds in October, I don't recall any protests against the mayor.

99% got their shots, and kept their jobs.

"...masks, distancing, reducing contacts, providing negative tests, and so on."
Was not an option. Yet, I recall no protests against the mayor.

What about other measures? ...masks, distancing, reducing contacts, providing negative tests, and so on.

I guess "Freedom" means different things to different people.

"Freedom" , to some, may mean freedom from ANY mandates - "...masks, distancing, reducing contacts, providing negative tests, and so on."

YMMV

Be interesting to know how many 18-wheelers are doing their jobs. Same as they do every day, around the clock.

Not sure about Canadian routes, but apparently, cross-border trucking was about the same as last year.

"Alghabra said he's also been monitoring the volume of trucks crossing the border each day since Jan. 15 and has seen no measurable reduction in the number of trucks. Last week, he said almost 100,000 trucks crossed the border -- about the same as usual for this time of year, despite a big snowstorm that hit Central Canada and the U.S. and one of those days being an American holiday (Martin Luther King Jr. Day on Jan. 17)."

COVID-19 vaccine mandate for truckers not causing food shortage, empty shelves

Looks like a certain leader in Ottawa is self-isolating for 5 days. Excellent timing, he's going to miss all the big trucks.
It is, as stated, very, very convenient that the sheltered Trudeau has been exposed to COVID (but tested negative). I which he was exposed as the worst PM ever. He is the coward of the city.

LILLEY: Intolerant Trudeau divides Canadians while O'Toole shows understanding - 27 Jan 22​

Extract: “The small fringe minority of people who are on their way to Ottawa, who are holding unacceptable views that they are expressing, do not represent the views of Canadians who have been there for each other, who know that following the science and stepping up to protect each other is the best way to ensure our rights, our freedoms, our values as a country,” Trudeau said Wednesday.
While I agree that Trudeau self isolation is an eye brow raising coincidence (mind you it’s Saturday and no one will be in the office) I’m not sure that O’toole hitching himself and his party this cause is going to wear well later.

See how effective controling narratives can be? We're busy LOLing over the size of this convoy and how it's smaller than boasted mean while important questions raised by Brian Peckford will get less attention than an Instagram picture of food.

Back