• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Liberal Minority Government 2021 - ????

We already have this technology, it's called a train... I don't know why people think this shall be such a game changer when we basically can already do this with very little risk.
Trains don't go directly to grocery stores or warehouses

We still need drivers to truck goods to the warehouses from the railhead then further on down the line. Captain Obvious here….
but they do cross the international borders: no covid checks required. You could even change crews right at the border to eliminate the train drivers from the equation totally.

We still need drivers to truck goods to the warehouses from the railhead then further on down the line. Captain Obvious here….
Thus why I'm talking about autonomous vehicles for the trucking industry

Wow just wow. I live in Windsor and work in logistics. The government really is determined to destroy the economy. Many truckers are anti Vax. We have a shortage of drivers now. I'm once again beyond angry. This move is just a pure f@$$ move. To punish. No logic no thinking beyond this group must be brought into line.

Wow just wow. I live in Windsor and work in logistics. The government really is determined to destroy the economy. Many truckers are anti Vax. We have a shortage of drivers now. I'm once again beyond angry. This move is just a pure f@$$ move. To punish. No logic no thinking beyond this group must be brought into line.
To me it makes no sense cause most truckers work alone anyway. So to me logically, my question is, what's the risk in the grand scheme of things?

Not as far as you think

I took care to use the words "may be". As in, maybe others can predict the furure. I wish I could.

Tesla Inc has come the closest with its Autopilot feature, a driver-assistance system, but is the subject of a probe by US auto safety regulators.

"Driver-assistance system" sounds like they need someone with a Commercial Driver's Licence in the truck.

Trains don't go directly to grocery stores or warehouses
True but I don't think this technology is really going to go anywhere. As I said we already have trains which are pretty close to self driving for long haul trucking. Short distance I still don't see a ton of benefit. As a society we would likely be better off investing in the train network than any of this self driving tech, especially as in a couple decades the personal vehicle is likely to be phased out for most of us plebs leaving only the wealthy with them.

True but I don't think this technology is really going to go anywhere. As I said we already have trains which are pretty close to self driving for long haul trucking. Short distance I still don't see a ton of benefit. As a society we would likely be better off investing in the train network than any of this self driving tech, especially as in a couple decades the personal vehicle is likely to be phased out for most of us plebs leaving only the wealthy with them.
Ferdinand Foch Quotes
Airplanes are interesting toys, but of no military value.

Made me think of that, sorry.

I think having driverless trucks with no sleep requirements or salary or benefits or vacations or pensions will lead to this being widely adopted for long haul trucking.

I can see most trucking jobs being short taxi runs, with a human driver taking over from a AI in city limits for drop off.

I can see most trucking jobs being short taxi runs, with a human driver taking over from a AI in city limits for drop off.
Yup. Probably acting more like harbour pilots, and likely done from some kind of ROC. Even that form of intervention would be less needed over time, but I assume functionality would be retained as part of contingency planning. Also, while not feasible for everything, I wonder if there will be a shift towards more local production. You'd still need to be able to source and transport raw inputs, though.

Yup. Probably acting more like harbour pilots, and likely done from some kind of ROC. Even that form of intervention would be less needed over time, but I assume functionality would be retained as part of contingency planning. Also, while not feasible for everything, I wonder if there will be a shift towards more local production. You'd still need to be able to source and transport raw inputs, though.
Once the upfront cost of getting a self driving truck is costed out over time, those AI trucks will be cheaper to operate, leading to lower transport costs and thus likely more stuff transported using trucking.

Interesting thoughts but it won't work. Although it is probably technologically achievable I can't think of an insurance company around that would be willing to provide insurance to an unmanned fleet so a driver will still be required. If the driver is in the seat but not driving I would bet that he won't finish even the first trip before his mind and his eyes are elsewhere. There will be an incident and it will be an expensive one. the one thing humans don't do well is monitor. If you have to pay for the driver anyway there is no advantage in paying for the extra computers, sensors etc. required to produce a self-driven transport. Now having a partial system where the computer operated the throttle and was capable of overriding an error, much as the airbus system attempts to prevent some pilot error might improve truck safety but it won't save the owners any money.

Interesting thoughts but it won't work. Although it is probably technologically achievable I can't think of an insurance company around that would be willing to provide insurance to an unmanned fleet so a driver will still be required. If the driver is in the seat but not driving I would bet that he won't finish even the first trip before his mind and his eyes are elsewhere. There will be an incident and it will be an expensive one. the one thing humans don't do well is monitor. If you have to pay for the driver anyway there is no advantage in paying for the extra computers, sensors etc. required to produce a self-driven transport. Now having a partial system where the computer operated the throttle and was capable of overriding an error, much as the airbus system attempts to prevent some pilot error might improve truck safety but it won't save the owners any money.

But if you have a 'safety driver' on board....

TuSimple says its self-driving trucks shaved 10 hours off a 24-hour run​

Autonomous vehicle company TuSimple on Wednesday claimed that its trucks shaved 10 hours off what’s normally a 24-hour job.

The company tested its trucks by hauling fresh watermelons along a 951-mile route from Nogales, Arizona to Oklahoma City. The drive was part of a pilot project with TuSimple partners Giumarra, a produce grower and distributor, and the Associated Wholesale Grocers.

The run normally takes 24 hours and 6 minutes with human drivers and traditional trucks, but TuSimple’s automated driving systems enabled a 42% faster run of 14 hours and six minutes, the company said.

According to TuSimple, a human driver worked on the pick-up and delivery of the produce. But during the long middle segment of the drive -- from Tucson, Arizona, to Dallas, Texas -- TuSimple’s vehicle drove itself with a human safety driver on board.

A spokesperson for TuSimple told CNBC the pilot was done with a safety driver on-board partly to comply with a patchwork of local regulations in the U.S. TuSimple aims to operate its trucks without needing a safety driver on-board at all by the end of 2024. Its trucks can be driven manually if and when needed.

Interesting thoughts but it won't work. Although it is probably technologically achievable I can't think of an insurance company around that would be willing to provide insurance to an unmanned fleet so a driver will still be required.

-- TuSimple’s vehicle drove itself with a human safety driver on board.

There may be a few glitches to work out.

But if you have a 'safety driver' on board....

TuSimple says its self-driving trucks shaved 10 hours off a 24-hour run​

Autonomous vehicle company TuSimple on Wednesday claimed that its trucks shaved 10 hours off what’s normally a 24-hour job.

The company tested its trucks by hauling fresh watermelons along a 951-mile route from Nogales, Arizona to Oklahoma City. The drive was part of a pilot project with TuSimple partners Giumarra, a produce grower and distributor, and the Associated Wholesale Grocers.

The run normally takes 24 hours and 6 minutes with human drivers and traditional trucks, but TuSimple’s automated driving systems enabled a 42% faster run of 14 hours and six minutes, the company said.

According to TuSimple, a human driver worked on the pick-up and delivery of the produce. But during the long middle segment of the drive -- from Tucson, Arizona, to Dallas, Texas -- TuSimple’s vehicle drove itself with a human safety driver on board.

A spokesperson for TuSimple told CNBC the pilot was done with a safety driver on-board partly to comply with a patchwork of local regulations in the U.S. TuSimple aims to operate its trucks without needing a safety driver on-board at all by the end of 2024. Its trucks can be driven manually if and when needed.

That is an average speed of over 70. Even running pin to pin I seriously question the performance. The safety driver had to have violated rules concerning hours and breaks along with the speed limits and the truck is still part of the congestion equation and answerable to road conditions. Rail traffic running centre to centre on a daily or even an hourly schedule in some cases makes far more sense. One driver, isolated route no sleepers required

Back