• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CDN/US Covid-related political discussion

I have to ask why this current state of affairs with health care exists. I think some of the problem is geography. We live in a huge country.

Maybe too many "managers"?
Capacity limits change depending on the size of the country?

I have to ask why this current state of affairs with health care exists. I think some of the problem is geography. We live in a huge country.

Maybe too many "managers"?
Key word in Britain is "National Health System"

Canada has plenty of resources, no sharing of capacity or economy of effort between the Provinces.

yep think about it for a minute. Population density will drive efficiency as the cost to provide services increases over larger areas with smaller populations. As true for medicine as it is for roads,sewers etc..
Yeah, sure, but hospital beds per 100,000 doesn't change because of geography.

Yeah, sure, but hospital beds per 100,000 doesn't change because of geography.
Well it could. It's going to cost more to fund them. It's just the particular example of the UK vs Canada being discussed in the two threads isn't explained by doctors and beds per capita. There's not enough information presented in the threads for me to come up with a hypothesis on the different national performances if such even exists

Well it could. It's going to cost more to fund them. It's just the particular example of the UK vs Canada being discussed in the two threads isn't explained by doctors and beds per capita. There's not enough information presented in the threads for me to come up with a hypothesis on the different national performances if such even exists
Costs are different sure, but hospital beds per 100,000 is hospital beds per 100,000.

Despite some saying Canada has equal or more hospital capacity as the UK, they manage to get by without locking down to "protect the hospitals" and the NHS doesn't collapse, yet Canada has had to lock down for every new variant.

Which is again, why I laugh when people say they are comparable.

But once again you don't critically think. It's NOT the number of beds (frig, I don't know many times it needs to be said), it's getting qualified people to move to Flin Flon and do the job when they can experience the awesomeness of Southern Ontario. Who cares where you live in England?.....dark and rainy all over and a 4 hour drive to anywhere.

Beds are not the enemy right now. It's staffing those beds....its been stated over and over but....🤡

I thought some guy said we were “getting over it” and “moving on in life”? Huh. I guess the 40 new COVID ICU admissions in the past 24 hours disagreed…
Makes you kinda wish Health Canada wasn't sitting on Paxlovid treatment approval which has been shown to reduce hospitalization by 90%. But hey, we'll just lockdown and vaccinate our way out of this, it's totally working.

Makes you kinda wish Health Canada wasn't sitting on Paxlovid treatment approval which has been shown to reduce hospitalization by 90%. But hey, we'll just lockdown and vaccinate our way out of this, it's totally working.
Makes me kind of glad they are trying to make sure it's safe first.

Went through the same testing that the children's vaccine and all those booster shots have. I guess the FDA doesn't do a good job though...
Maybe there's something in the stats they don't like. Between the choice of rushing it or making sure, I'll take the latter.

But once again you don't critically think. It's NOT the number of beds (frig, I don't know many times it needs to be said), it's getting qualified people to move to Flin Flon and do the job when they can experience the awesomeness of Southern Ontario. Who cares where you live in England?.....dark and rainy all over and a 4 hour drive to anywhere.

Beds are not the enemy right now. It's staffing those beds....its been stated over and over but....🤡
Are people not being flown from where there is no capacity/staffing to where there is?

Why, yes they are.

As medical professionals in Ontario’s health care system have been working tirelessly to keep up with record-high COVID-19 cases, paramedics with Ornge air ambulance and other paramedic services have been working around the clock to transfer patients across the province in order to help manage strained intensive care unit capacity.

70c8fc80

“There’s nothing we can compare it to. It is the most busy we have ever been. We have surged up more than 200 per cent in the last two weeks alone,” Justin Smith, chief flight paramedic with Ornge, told Global News.

“It is a manageable pace, but for not much longer. I think our crews are getting tired. They’re stepping forward, stepping up, to do the job that’s being asked of them and we’ll do it as long as we can, but as with anything everything has its limits.”

STARS air ambulance says about 18 per cent of the patients it has treated or transported this month by helicopter in the Prairie provinces have been people with COVID-19.

That's up from seven per cent in the summer, says Dr. J.N. Armstrong, chief medical officer of STARS.

With the surging number of COVID cases being reported in all three Prairie provinces, Armstrong says it's not surprising that it's happening more frequently.

In addition to getting trauma patients to hospitals, he says STARS crews are doing an increasing number of transfers between hospitals involving COVID patients.

Are people not being flown from where there is no capacity/staffing to where there is?

Why, yes they are.

So you just defeated your own argument about number of available beds.......

“Hey Bob, we got this new treatment that could help.”

“Thanks Bill. Let’s put it on hold as long as we can so we can fuck everyone over. It’s in the agenda. OUR agenda. Muahahahaha.”
Do you think the government in their secret dealings with vaccine companies, unavailable to public eye, didn't sign on to any clauses which may prevent the government from finding better deals or new treatments from other companies until the contract is up.

I mean our government procurement system is proof that the end-user is what matters most.

Why, yes they are.

Great! Let’s start flying people from Montreal to Tuktyoktuk, there’s a hospital there, and a bed is a bed and geography doesn’t matter.
Edit: then when they’re full and Jimmy in Tuk cuts his arm with a chainsaw we’ll just get him to hop an Uber over to Alert to get his vitals checked; that Medic has like 30 healthy people to look after; tons of extra capacity.

Last edited:
“Hey Bob, we got this new treatment that could help.”

“Thanks Bill. Let’s put it on hold as long as we can so we can fuck everyone over. It’s in the agenda. OUR agenda. Muahahahaha.”
And in all your life in dealing with government has the "agenda" whatever it happens to be not trump a persons wellbeing?......hmmm.

Back