• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Loss of secret data, RCN ships

Eye In The Sky

Army.ca Legend
Reaction score
I didn’t see this posted anywhere yet.

Two of Canada's frontline frigates lost electronic storage devices containing classified and top secret data — including electronic warfare material — according to security inventories conducted over the last two years, CBC News has learned.

The devices — USBs, DVDs and a backup hard drive — went missing despite an apparent tightening of security in the wake of a spy scandal almost a decade ago, and a separate internal 2013 board of inquiry which recommended measures to clean up the navy's handling of classified data.

In August 2020, according to documents obtained by CBC News, an inventory of the secure data account aboard HMCS Fredericton "discovered numerous classified and unclassified [electronic warfare] items" were missing.

More at link…

From the headline I thought multiple RCN ships were lost.

From the headline I thought multiple RCN ships were lost.
Sometimes with our practices, I think we could. I would of expected much better tracking and verification of this equipment, especially while on operations near Russia. Any chance greater then 0, that the Russians got fed these devices is very bad.

Sometimes with our practices, I think we could. I would of expected much better tracking and verification of this equipment, especially while on operations near Russia. Any chance greater then 0, that the Russians got fed these devices is very bad.
We demand greater accountability from a recruit with a C7.

What are the procedures that ensure the security of these devices?

I shall refrain from laying any blame at the moment.

We demand greater accountability from a recruit with a C7.

What are the procedures that ensure the security of these devices?

I shall refrain from laying any blame at the moment.
In theory procedures should be very similar.
Item removed from secure storage - signed for by authorized person for an authorized task.
Item returned to secure storage by authorized person once task is complete.

The difference is instead of the CQ/SQ whatever opening the vault - it is the Unit/Facility Security Officer.

It sound like some of these ships the CO's delegated that role to a bunch of folks and no one kept track of items coming and going.
If that is the case then the CO and XO are going to (or at least should) swing - as they are the one who created that mess.

Honestly looking at some of the history and recommendations made earlier - it seems there is a rather haphazard lack of control of both the # of secure items - and their location/signing out policy on several ships.

Back