• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Arctic/Offshore Patrol Ship AOPS

I think they are confused as well, found this:

The Coast Guard requires six new polar
icebreakers, at least three of which will be
polar security cutters (PSCs), to support the
country’s economic, commercial, maritime
and national security needs. The new PSCs
will be national assets that will ensure
access to both polar regions and be capable
of executing key Coast Guard missions,
including defense readiness; marine
environmental protection; ports, waterways
and coastal security; and search and rescue.
The ships will operate worldwide and
face the range of extreme environmental
conditions found in the polar, tropical and
temperate regions.

So a little birdie told me today that Irving cut corners with the documentations aspect of the AOPS. It seems that the crew is now crawling about the engineering spaces tracing all the piping and electrical lines since Irving never supplied them. Colour me not shocked at all.

So a little birdie told me today that Irving cut corners with the documentations aspect of the AOPS. It seems that the crew is now crawling about the engineering spaces tracing all the piping and electrical lines since Irving never supplied them. Colour me not shocked at all.
no-job-is-finished-till-the-paperwork-is-done-tri-chem-painted-picture-on-felt-fc39a9c2334d5979105d6a00b7144be1.jpg

Actually a couple of AOP's would fill their gap, that "security Cutter" is closer to our 'Polar Class" icebreaker. we should make that pitch to them, certainly can't hurt.
The US military and government departments can't buy foreign manufactured ships. Jones act and all etc etc.

Any guesses on whether they'll get any flak from that? A sternly-worded email perhaps? :ROFLMAO:

This seemed very odd to me. A large amount of money is tied up in drawings and documentation delivery. ISI wants to get paid. So I reached out for more info:

I can say this rumor is incorrect. HDW has all the electrical and piping drawings they need both paper and electronic. There were some differences that needed to be corrected but errors crop up between drawing, 3D model, and installation sometimes.

This seemed very odd to me. A large amount of money is tied up in drawings and documentation delivery. ISI wants to get paid. So I reached out for more info:

I can say this rumor is incorrect. HDW has all the electrical and piping drawings they need both paper and electronic. There were some differences that needed to be corrected but errors crop up between drawing, 3D model, and installation sometimes.
I stand corrected.

But what does it say about Irving that this rumour can be accepted at face value?

The US military and government departments can't buy foreign manufactured ships. Jones act and all etc etc.
As I understand the Jones Act, is that it only applies to commercial shipping. I agree that buying a Canadian built ship would be a very hard sell, unless they "leased" them from us until they had a replacement.

I wish ISO or Class was a documentation standard instead of a manufacturing/build standard respectively. Instructions on how to assemble things like new kitchen fittings would be so much easier to read... lol

When I originally saw the "rumour" and knowing how documentation is handled as part of the TDP I treated it just like l any other rumour in regards to this class of ship as BS. Ships staff having to trace systems because there's no drawings, sure;)

When I originally saw the "rumour" and knowing how documentation is handled as part of the TDP I treated it just like l any other rumour in regards to this class of ship as BS. Ships staff having to trace systems because there's no drawings, sure;)
I completely forgot about the training aspect. AOPS has online courses with all the system diagrams as part of their reference documentation for the course.

I completely forgot about the training aspect. AOPS has online courses with all the system diagrams as part of their reference documentation for the course.
That's right as well. Didn't take long for all the non engineering types to jump on the bandwagon though.

That's right as well. Didn't take long for all the non engineering types to jump on the bandwagon though.
Likely as we have all lived a reality where such things have happened and it's very much in the realm of possibility. I used to get calls at my office where companies were trying to figure out what they owned and what it looked like, because people throw out stuff like plans, approvals, technical manuals on a regular basis.

The quality and layout is awful, and the drawings are effectively unusable. HVAC symbols on a PI&D? Things clustered together so close that you can't see them? CFTOs that are mostly glossy brochures for tech data in a pdf? Yup.

The ones I've tried to decipher are frankly quite shit, and I would have failed grade 9 drafting for submitting them. The electrical ones are okay, but the mechanical ones are useless. Feel sorry for Thales who is supposed to be supporting the 2nd line work with this.

The quality and layout is awful, and the drawings are effectively unusable. HVAC symbols on a PI&D? Things clustered together so close that you can't see them? CFTOs that are mostly glossy brochures for tech data in a pdf? Yup.

The ones I've tried to decipher are frankly quite shit, and I would have failed grade 9 drafting for submitting them. The electrical ones are okay, but the mechanical ones are useless. Feel sorry for Thales who is supposed to be supporting the 2nd line work with this.
Sounds like drawings created by Engineers. Their drawing skills are often on a par with their ability to write a paragraph.

Oh for the days where draughtsmen worked on vellum.

Sounds like drawings created by Engineers. Their drawing skills are often on a par with their ability to write a paragraph.

Oh for the days where draughtsmen worked on vellum.
Nah, it's drawings created by people who will never have to use them that 'meet the contract requirement', and not calling up the prescriptive CFTO on drawing and publications because 'commercial rules work better'. I should be able to look at a drawing, identify the part and figure out what is fitted.

Hilariously mutliple thread types seem to be used on the same system, so is a weird mix of metric, NPT and BPT, depending on where the OEM is from.

Nah, it's drawings created by people who will never have to use them that 'meet the contract requirement', and not calling up the prescriptive CFTO on drawing and publications because 'commercial rules work better'. I should be able to look at a drawing, identify the part and figure out what is fitted.

Hilariously mutliple thread types seem to be used on the same system, so is a weird mix of metric, NPT and BPT, depending on where the OEM is from.
I love the 6mm air line in the 1/4" NPT fitting on the US made DIN standard valve with BSP threads.

I wish ISO or Class was a documentation standard instead of a manufacturing/build standard respectively. Instructions on how to assemble things like new kitchen fittings would be so much easier to read... lol
Meaning every manufacturer would need ISO-trained translators. Maybe engineers should take the lead of Ikea and just use pictograms and little stick people.

Back