• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Initial Call Waiting Time

Thank you! I first applied in Aug 2020 but was told to finish some more high school credits, reapplied in Feb 2021. So 8 months since I reapplied, but who knows when I'll actually end up going to BMQ
Yea, but I was told that you actually start getting paid after you accept the job offer. So you are going to get paid your salary while you wait to go to BMQ. I wish you the best let me know how it goes!

Yea, but I was told that you actually start getting paid after you accept the job offer. So you are going to get paid your salary while you wait to go to BMQ. I wish you the best let me know how it goes!
My older brother actually just swore in on the 20th, and he didn't mention anything about getting paid yet but maybe! Thank you again, I'll keep you updated! Wish you the best with your CFAT too!

My older brother actually just swore in on the 20th, and he didn't mention anything about getting paid yet but maybe! Thank you again, I'll keep you updated! Wish you the best with your CFAT too!
I was wondering is there a referral system in the army? If so, does it increase the speed of your application or have no effect at all?

I was wondering is there a referral system in the army? If so, does it increase the speed of your application or have no effect at all?
Nope, everyone seems to be vetted through the same application process (obviously little things might be different depending on your trade, like needing to score such and such on your eye test in the medical for X trade). My brother and I are getting in near the same time purely because we applied near the same time - also he went Navy.

You know what does really help the application process - scoring well on the CFAT! Might not speed up the process directly, but its truly the best way to beat out others on the competition list once you get there. Not to diminish the interview or anything, but man does the CFAT get brought up a lot. The CFAT truly was the best thing I had going for me, I am a high school drop out but because I studied I still scored really well and ended up being very competitive for my trade.

The whole process from applying to going to BMQ seems to be fairly long for almost everyone, so use that time to your advantage and study up on your trade. If you score well on the CFAT, pass the medical, and do well in the interview - your going to be golden. I had been in the process for about a year by the time I did my interview and it ended up being the most enjoyable and easy interview I've ever had! I knew what I was signing up for, seemed capable to be able to learn it, and I was highly motivated.

The only way to possibly speed up the process is to answer your phone/emails asap, and always try to get whatever documentation they ask you for to them asap. Be proactive, which seems to be natural for you!

Nope, everyone seems to be vetted through the same application process (obviously little things might be different depending on your trade, like needing to score such and such on your eye test in the medical for X trade). My brother and I are getting in near the same time purely because we applied near the same time - also he went Navy.

You know what does really help the application process - scoring well on the CFAT! Might not speed up the process directly, but its truly the best way to beat out others on the competition list once you get there. Not to diminish the interview or anything, but man does the CFAT get brought up a lot. The CFAT truly was the best thing I had going for me, I am a high school drop out but because I studied I still scored really well and ended up being very competitive for my trade.

The whole process from applying to going to BMQ seems to be fairly long for almost everyone, so use that time to your advantage and study up on your trade. If you score well on the CFAT, pass the medical, and do well in the interview - your going to be golden. I had been in the process for about a year by the time I did my interview and it ended up being the most enjoyable and easy interview I've ever had! I knew what I was signing up for, seemed capable to be able to learn it, and I was highly motivated.

The only way to possibly speed up the process is to answer your phone/emails asap, and always try to get whatever documentation they ask you for to them asap. Be proactive, which seems to be natural for you!
I see, yea I have been practicing for the CFAT daily for a little bit now and plan to do so until my test date, which I have yet to receive the email to book. By the time I do get a date I will most likely be as ready as I could possibly be. The only thing that makes me a bit nervous is that since I am going for the intelligence officer trade, I heard it has one of the highest, if not the highest cutoff score for the CFAT. So I am prepping to ensure I do well. I was wondering if medical was just vision and hearing tests as well as family history or is there a physical elements to it as well?

I see, yea I have been practicing for the CFAT daily for a little bit now and plan to do so until my test date, which I have yet to receive the email to book. By the time I do get a date I will most likely be as ready as I could possibly be. The only thing that makes me a bit nervous is that since I am going for the intelligence officer trade, I heard it has one of the highest, if not the highest cutoff score for the CFAT. So I am prepping to ensure I do well. I was wondering if medical was just vision and hearing tests as well as family history or is there a physical elements to it as well?
They will send you a practice test when you confirm your CFAT date and its pretty accurate to the stuff you'll see on the actual test. I was really worried myself about scoring well on it as I don't have much else to stand on, and I ended up doing very well - I used Khan Academy's app/youtube videos, as well as the $14ish CFAT practice test app. If you're in school now you might be able to utilize something there to ensure you're math is on point. It's not an overly hard test, but you have to think quickly to answer everything in time. I went NCM btw so you might want to cross reference with some other content on army.ca.

As far as the medical goes, they do test your blood pressure and stuff too but more or less you've got it. Nothing crazy. I know reserves do their fitness test as part of the recruiting process, where as reg force does theirs at BMQ/BMOQ.

Links:
Khan Academy | Free Online Courses, Lessons & Practice
https://www.youtube.com/c/khanacademy
‎CFAT Trainer - Test Prep (CFAT app for Iphone)

They will send you a practice test when you confirm your CFAT date and its pretty accurate to the stuff you'll see on the actual test. I was really worried myself about scoring well on it as I don't have much else to stand on, and I ended up doing very well - I used Khan Academy's app/youtube videos, as well as the $14ish CFAT practice test app. If you're in school now you might be able to utilize something there to ensure you're math is on point. It's not an overly hard test, but you have to think quickly to answer everything in time. I went NCM btw so you might want to cross reference with some other content on army.ca.

As far as the medical goes, they do test your blood pressure and stuff too but more or less you've got it. Nothing crazy. I know reserves do their fitness test as part of the recruiting process, where as reg force does theirs at BMQ/BMOQ.

Links:
I see, thank you so much for the information!

Links:
Hey, sorry just a quick question does completion time matter for CFAT? or does time taken not matter, it's just the score? (I know each section is timed, I was curious it that plays a factor)

Hey, sorry just a quick question does completion time matter for CFAT? or does time taken not matter, it's just the score? (I know each section is timed, I was curious it that plays a factor)
You are given a certain amount of questions with a time limit for all the questions in that section. It doesn't matter if you have to take time with one of the specific questions, so long as you allow yourself to complete the rest of the questions in time too. I did the old "I'll come back to that one later" and found that worked well for me. Hope that helps.

You are given a certain amount of questions with a time limit for all the questions in that section. It doesn't matter if you have to take time with one of the specific questions, so long as you allow yourself to complete the rest of the questions in time too. I did the old "I'll come back to that one later" and found that worked well for me. Hope that helps.
Thanks, once again

Just got my email to book the CFAT. I provided my 3 selected dates.

Study hard!
They said I did really well on the cfat. I qualified for all NCM trades. As for the intelligence officer and military police officer that I applied for, they told me that they are not even hiring for those trades. The officer trades I did qualify for with my criminology degree was artillery, armoured, infantry, and naval warfare officer positions. They said if I had an engineering degree, I would have qualified for a lot more officer trades. I'm thinking with my criminology degree, I should go into a ncm mp position.

They said I did really well on the cfat. I qualified for all NCM trades. As for the intelligence officer and military police officer that I applied for, they told me that they are not even hiring for those trades. The officer trades I did qualify for with my criminology degree was artillery, armoured, infantry, and naval warfare officer positions. They said if I had an engineering degree, I would have qualified for a lot more officer trades. I'm thinking with my criminology degree, I should go into a ncm mp position.
Congratulations, glad to hear you scored well! Seems like you have a lot of great options in front of you, take your time and really consider them before jumping too deep down one rabbit hole. Obviously you know yourself best, but just keep in mind that the further you go down the path the less you can change your mind - pick the trade that you truly think you'll enjoy and be passionate about. Going ncm to pursue being an mp does sound like it makes sense for you, but if your real passion is only to be an intelligence officer than maybe just holding out is the best call. I've read too many threads of people joining one trade in hopes that they will transfer out of it into their original desired trade but it always seem to end in them unsatisfied and eventually getting out sooner than they would of liked.

Are they putting your application on hold until you're finished school, as you previously mentioned, or are you taking an alternative route?

Congratulations, glad to hear you scored well! Seems like you have a lot of great options in front of you, take your time and really consider them before jumping too deep down one rabbit hole. Obviously you know yourself best, but just keep in mind that the further you go down the path the less you can change your mind - pick the trade that you truly think you'll enjoy and be passionate about. Going ncm to pursue being an mp does sound like it makes sense for you, but if your real passion is only to be an intelligence officer than maybe just holding out is the best call. I've read too many threads of people joining one trade in hopes that they will transfer out of it into their original desired trade but it always seem to end in them unsatisfied and eventually getting out sooner than they would of liked.

Are they putting your application on hold until you're finished school, as you previously mentioned, or are you taking an alternative route?
They said it will be put on hold until January when i'm in my final semester if I choose MP or the other officer trades. If I choose an NCM trade, they can start immediately.

They said it will be put on hold until January when i'm in my final semester if I choose MP or the other officer trades. If I choose an NCM trade, they can start immediately.
I'd be interested to know what path you end up choosing. Feel free to keep this thread updated with your journey into the CAF!

I'd be interested to know what path you end up choosing. Feel free to keep this thread updated with your journey into the CAF!
For sure!, I am probably going to pursue Military Police because that seems to be much so in my field and very interesting. The officer positions seem like great experience but overall not as enjoyable as some of the NCM positions.

Back