• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

1st posting -PMQ availability

Northern4487

Inactive
Reaction score
1st posting and it’s to Comox. Single with no dependents. Have HG&E in storage that I want to be able to have after almost two years in training. Have been told the wait list for a PMQ is very long and there is absolutely no way I can afford private rental. I definitely want to be able to keep my P1 status for housing there. What do I do? Obviously can’t live in a tent. Will they force me to move before I have a place to live?

1st posting and it’s to Comox. Single with no dependents. Have HG&E in storage that I want to be able to have after almost two years in training. Have been told the wait list for a PMQ is very long and there is absolutely no way I can afford private rental. I definitely want to be able to keep my P1 status for housing there. What do I do? Obviously can’t live in a tent. Will they force me to move before I have a place to live?
Have you actually made an application with CFHA and have they told you your place on list?

Have you checked all the rental accommodations in Courtney/Comox/Cumberland?

Have you checked with your new unit to see if they have any ideas?

I am not saying it will be easy, but it should not be impossible for a single member, either.

Just found out today and application on tomorrow with CFHA. Yes I’ve looked at market rentals and it’s absolutely horrible. Upwards of $1600 Plus utilities at the cheapest. I was hoping someone there might have some insight on the PMQ’s to ease my mind.

Just found out today and application on tomorrow with CFHA. Yes I’ve looked at market rentals and it’s absolutely horrible. Upwards of $1600 Plus utilities at the cheapest. I was hoping someone there might have some insight on the PMQ’s to ease my mind.
I took a quick roll through Comox rentals and was seeing stuff around $1200. You might want to spend some more time looking.

Is this a cost move for you? If so, so should get the services of a rental agent.

Good luck!

My question is about the PMQs since I can not afford to spend more than one of my net paycheques just on rent.

My question is about the PMQs since I can not afford to spend more than one of my net paycheques just on rent.
Seen, but in case you do not get an RHU I don’t think you are sunk. Your newunit maybe able to help you find something; one of your new work colleagues may have a private rental. You might find a roommate to share rent. Once again- good luck!

Perhaps you can point me in the direction where you are finding rentals in Comox for as cheap as you say because everyplace I’m looking is $1500 upwards and utilities.

Perhaps you can point me in the direction where you are finding rentals in Comox for as cheap as you say because everyplace I’m looking is $1500 upwards and utilities.

This probably not even the best place to look, but it was literally the first link that I clicked.

I am nearly certain that you can also apply to live in the shacks while you wait for housing or looking for an apartment. If you have DWAN access, find 19 Wing’s website and look for accommodations. They should have a plus account that you can email to enquire about R&Q.

This probably not even the best place to look, but it was literally the first link that I clicked.

I am nearly certain that you can also apply to live in the shacks while you wait for housing or looking for an apartment. If you have DWAN access, find 19 Wing’s website and look for accommodations. They should have a plus account that you can email to enquire about R&Q.

I appreciate your input but the market rentals are very high. My private’s salary is only clearing $1100 each pay so nothing listed is in reach and still have the ability to eat. I also know that if I take anything at all even having to borrow money to live, I get bumped off a P1 status. Hoping someone on here can actually answer my question about just how dismal or perhaps improving the wait list is on RHU.

I appreciate your input but the market rentals are very high. My private’s salary is only clearing $1100 each pay so nothing listed is in reach and still have the ability to eat. I also know that if I take anything at all even having to borrow money to live, I get bumped off a P1 status. Hoping someone on here can actually answer my question about just how dismal or perhaps improving the wait list is on RHU.
I get that, but you still have not made an RHU application, so you really have no idea where you stand on a waiting list. You have not spoken to base accommodations about living in the shacks nor have engaged a rental agent or spoken to your new unit. I am not saying Comox is cheap. What I am saying is that it is pretty early in the process to be freaking out about having no place to live.

PMQ wait list isn’t going to move very much as we head into the winter. There are new one bedroom apartments that have just been built, plus other single quarters style RHUs on the Wing. If all else fails, you can join the rest of the Privates and 2Lts in the shacks. Talk to CFHA and then also talk to the barracks warden.

You’ve been given some valid advice here a couple of times, reach out to your gaming unit sponsor and see what they say. I’m assuming you are going to 19 MSS?

I get bumped off a P1 status.

What's p1 status?

I'm not sure about Comox but the wait list for RHUs in Petawawa were a few hundred people long this summer. Lots of families with young kids, I believe they took priority.

Living in the shacks or renting a room in someone's house might be what your stuck with.

Back