• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

US, NATO Outta Afghanistan 2021

FJAG rather than pollute the Joke thread, the most serious threat will be the AFV's and the 350,000 small arms and ammunition caches left there. The AFV's will give the Taliban the advantage in the next 2 years before the majority of them become useless. The small arms will continue to serve them for decades with Pakistan likley being a source for 5.56. You are correct that the US is incapable of getting that stuff back. However a proper withdrawal would have given them a chance to remove most of the aircraft.

So they created an "ante room" in a sewage ditch, in the sun, outside the walls, with no screening, and a suicide bomber got into the "ante room".
Yes. It’s purely a matter of luck that the Taliban didn’t blow a couple of us up along with a hundred afghans at the “ante room” to KAF where all the locals came in to work every morning. At some point there has to be a first interface between the locals trying to get in, and the coalition forces on security. That place is probably going to be hectic and crowded and vulnerable.

When I was working ECP 3 at KAF for a month our shorthand term for the (usually four) troops all the way out front corralling the locals was “Suicide”, I.e., a suicide bomber would get us. I’ve probably got a couple photos somewhere, I’ll see if I can dig them up.

NRF claiming 600 taliban dead over a 1000 captured in fighting over the weekend. If true that is a pretty big blow to the taliban.

NRF claiming 600 taliban dead over a 1000 captured in fighting over the weekend. If true that is a pretty big blow to the taliban.

I wonder if the West might lend a hand... if we aren't already:

Battle for Panjshir Valley continues, US general warns of civil war in Afghanistan​

Clashes between the Taliban and resistance forces continued on Saturday as the Taliban tried to take control of the Panjshir valley, the last pocket of resistance in Afghanistan.

As clashes between the Taliban and resistance forces continued, US General Mark Milley, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, has warned of a "civil war" if the Taliban fail to consolidate power.

In the fight for Panjshir valley, both sides have claimed to have the upper hand but neither could produce conclusive evidence to prove it. The Taliban, which swept through the country ahead of the final withdrawal of US-led forces this week, were unable to control the valley when they ruled Afghanistan back in 1996-2001.

Taliban spokesman Bilal Karimi said the districts of Khinj and Unabah had been taken, giving Taliban control of four out of the seven districts in the province.

"The Mujahideen [Taliban fighters] are advancing toward the centre [of the province]," he said on Twitter.

However, the National Resistance Front of Afghanistan, grouping forces loyal to local leader Ahmad Massoud, said it surrounded "thousands of terrorists" in Khawak pass and the Taliban had abandoned vehicles and equipment in the Dashte Rewak area.
Front spokesman Fahim Dashti added "heavy clashes" were going on.

In a Facebook post, Massoud insisted Panjshir "continues to stand strong". Praising "our honourable sisters", he said demonstrations by women in the western city of Herat calling for their rights showed Afghans had not given up demands for justice and "they fear no threats".
US General Mark Milley, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, underscored the tenuous situation.

"My military estimate is, is that the conditions are likely to develop of a civil war. I don't know if the Taliban are going to be able to consolidate power and establish governance," Milley said.

No way. The brutal regime that many parts of the country hated, are now starting to feel unwanted in those areas? Internal problems indeed…

Now that there seems to be an official group taking up the fight against the Taliban that people can join. A group that thanks and acknowledges other groups run or staffed by women, and a place where loyal ANA and ANSF members can take up the fight again (hopefully with some decent small arms, and some insight into useful tactics, etc)

I ‘have a feeling’ the west perhaps lent a very discreet helping hand in getting them organized to the point of going on the offensive.

Say, where are those CIA SI folks anyway? 🤨😎

No way. The brutal regime that many parts of the country hated, are now starting to feel unwanted in those areas? Internal problems indeed…

Now that there seems to be an official group taking up the fight against the Taliban that people can join. A group that thanks and acknowledges other groups run or staffed by women, and a place where loyal ANA and ANSF members can take up the fight again (hopefully with some decent small arms, and some insight into useful tactics, etc)

I ‘have a feeling’ the west perhaps lent a very discreet helping hand in getting them organized to the point of going on the offensive.

Say, where are those CIA SI folks anyway? 🤨😎

I'm in two minds. I hope the locals don't need encouragement and that they are engaging of their own volition. That would be much more effective than them responding to "encouragement" from the outside.

At the same time, if they are requesting assistance, even if it is just humanitarian aid and intelligence - and the occasional mechanic to keep their "recovered" gear operational - then that wouldn't offend me.

If only somebody were inclined to finance a regiment of refugees.

Afghan special forces could join the British Army as part of a new regiment being considered by UK MPs, the Telegraph reported.

Hundreds of the Afghan commandos who've arrived in the UK over the past few weeks have been trained by UK troops in Afghanistan.

I think the best option is to have Afghanistan as a country cease to exist, they have no national identity, its a large collection of tribal states, break it up by states, you'll have more peace, much of the Afghan borders were set by the west, not them.

This should be interesting...

Panjshir resistance leader says ready for talks with Taliban​

Ahmad Massoud, head of NRF, says he welcomes proposals for a negotiated settlement to end fighting in Panjshir Valley.

The leader of the Afghan opposition group resisting Taliban forces in the Panjshir Valley north of Kabul has said he welcomed proposals from religious scholars for a negotiated settlement to end the fighting.

Ahmad Massoud, head of the National Resistance Front of Afghanistan (NRF), made the announcement on the group’s Facebook page on Sunday. Earlier, Taliban forces said they had fought their way into the provincial capital of Panjshir after securing the surrounding districts.

Meanwhile the Taliban are not letting the Americans in country leave till they get "More"
and according to BBC reports there are a number of names on a list who seem to have been disappeared and many more in hiding to avoid search committees.

Afghanistan: Taliban accused of killing pregnant police officer​

Details of the incident are still sketchy as many in Firozkoh fear retribution if they speak out. But three sources have told the BBC that the Taliban beat and shot Negar dead in front of her husband and children on Saturday.
Relatives supplied graphic images showing blood spattered on a wall in the corner of a room and a body, the face heavily disfigured.
The family say Negar, who worked at the local prison, was eight months pregnant.

I find it hard to believe a province that held off the soviets, the taliban and everyone else for decades folded as fast as the ANA after an assault.

Back