• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Afghan Interpreters, Others Fast-tracking to Canada

You mean to replace the multi-decade old aircraft that we share ownership of with only one other nation, Iran? šŸ¤”

Samuel L Jackson Reaction GIF by Coming to America

I just hope that in the end we do right by as many Afghans as we can. It's been a bad start and a late start for sure
I do too but if we were really serious about helping these people we would have 7 years ago, starting with the Conservatives ending the mission in Afghanistan and followed by the Liberal election win in 2015. No one in either government really cared all that much it seems.

6 years ago we vowed to bring in 30,000 Syrian refugees (who were relatively safe) because of a really sad picture of a drowned boy and it translated to political points and votes.

We're going to savesome of them now because it's political points and votes if we don't.

It should be on the way as it was the only qualified bidder, so maybe a quicker than normal acquisition

Iran Air and Mahan Airā€¦although Iran Airā€™s A310s were put into long-term storage, so technically RCAF and Mahan Air (Iran) are now the only operators of the A310.

Iran Air and Mahan Airā€¦although Iran Airā€™s A310s were put into long-term storage, so technically RCAF and Mahan Air (Iran) are now the only operators of the A310.
The Luftwaffe still operates it.

The Luftwaffe still operates it.

Oops, mea culpa. I jumper the gun on their shelving the 310 with their joint order with Norway for the A330 MRTTs.

To quote a wise team of philosophers, ā€œIā€™m not dead yet!ā€

Multiple media outlets are reporting that western Intel/militaries are aware of and adjusting posture due to threats from ISIS against Kabul airport/the evacuation.

Interestingly and concerningly, thereā€™s video of an A400 shooting off multiple batches of flares while on its takeoff climb in the past day or so. Unsure whether thatā€™s directly related.

ISIS and Taliban arenā€™t exactly buds. But Kabul is a big city.

Multiple media outlets are reporting that western Intel/militaries are aware of and adjusting posture due to threats from ISIS against Kabul airport/the evacuation.

Interestingly and concerningly, thereā€™s video of an A400 shooting off multiple batches of flares while on its takeoff climb in the past day or so. Unsure whether thatā€™s directly related.

ISIS and Taliban arenā€™t exactly buds. But Kabul is a big city.

That's a big footprint that needs controlling, but probably won't.

Any idea how many SAMs the Taliban have hanging around these days?

Do they need sams?

Launch enough mortars on a single runway airport and it achieves the same end result, no?

I'm out of my lane here but airfield hard pan is actually pretty tough to penetrate, apparently. They put alot of effort into making sure it can handle the impact of big jets.

Unless you have heavy artillery it would be difficult to wreck the tarmac itself.

Of course, one bad boy with a 23mm could mess things up in a major way so you wouldn't have to hole the runway to disrupt flights.

I'm out of my lane here but airfield hard pan is actually pretty tough to penetrate, apparently. They put alot of effort into making sure it can handle the impact of big jets.

Unless you have heavy artillery it would be difficult to wreck the tarmac itself.

Of course, one bad boy with a 23mm could mess things up in a major way so you wouldn't have to hole the runway to disrupt flights.
I'm sure the runway itself would be fine.

I just don't see western nations allowing flights to take off under mortar fire knowing that just one lucky hit will kill hundreds of fleeing civilians, an air crew, and an expensive plane.

Even just hitting a staging area with all those refugees will be enough nightmare fuel for the daily newsreels for weeks.

They could put HMG's in several areas and shut Kabul airport down.

It would serve no short term purpose, and harden already intensive criticism of the Taliban. They are fanatics, but not stupid.

They could put HMG's in several areas and shut Kabul airport down.

It would serve no short term purpose, and harden already intensive criticism of the Taliban. They are fanatics, but not stupid.
What would we do in response, invade Afghanistan?

I don't think we, the west, has any leverage.

What would we do in response, invade Afghanistan?

I don't think we, the west, has any leverage.

Some, but not much. Iā€™ve opined repeatedly that a det of MMGs/HMGs could shut down the airport by hitting a transport on takeoff. The trouble is, ā€˜rogueā€™ elements could probably achieve this easily enough.

I hear standing on a runway with hundreds of people after the timings of when you'd be on the runway was posted for rocket-loving bad guys to read can be quite nerve wracking.

Couldn't the Taliban just fly drones into the jet engines?

I hear standing on a runway with hundreds of people after the timings of when you'd be on the runway was posted for rocket-loving bad guys to read can be quite nerve wracking.

You are all missing the point, Had the Taliban wanted to shut down the Kabul airport, they could have done so easily. There are other factors in play here, none of which we are privy to, but which we will all get to guess at in the next few weeks. The airport remains open, and folks are being evacuated.

Ah, the ramp ceremony rocket attackā€¦ Dicks.

The one that impressed me was when they hit us to exactly coincide with the regular Wednesday alarm test that everyone knew was coming. That was nicely done.

Back