• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Liberal Minority Government 2019 - ????

Status
Not open for further replies.
And here lies the trap I think the LPC has set for the CPC.

The LPC said it didn't want anti abortion members or supporters. CPC accepts everyone. Most Canadians are hesitant to support measures on abortion, and are content with the current laws (or lack thereof) around it. LPC gets to point at the CPC and say they are the party of anti abortion, and the CPC can deny it up and down, but their voting record on a whole says otherwise.
You hit the nail on the head here. And I think it really shows a lack of charismatic and visionary leadership on the side of the CPC.

The CPC are letting the Liberals have the initiative and control the message.

I am convinced I would not take much to take it back. And right the ship for the CPC. You simply have to stop the blame game, provide positive alternatives and take the higher road than the Liberals will in any campaign. But none of that makes for good click bait or memes for the unwashed masses.

You hit the nail on the head here. And I think it really shows a lack of charismatic and visionary leadership on the side of the CPC.

The CPC are letting the Liberals have the initiative and control the message.

I am convinced I would not take much to take it back. And right the ship for the CPC. You simply have to stop the blame game, provide positive alternatives and take the higher road than the Liberals will in any campaign. But none of that makes for good click bait or memes for the unwashed masses.
It will never matter who is leading the CPC/PPC or anyone other than the 600 million dollar media funding political party. The best example is abortion. Anti-abortion laws have been completely off the table for a long time but the LPC via the media keep using this club to beat the CPC and scare the voters.

The message is already mostly controlled. The best evidence of this are all the crazy scandals that directly involve the PM. No other politician in history would have survived all of that. If Harper or any other CPC/PPC leader had been implicated in any ONE of those, the media would have beat that drum, endlessly, until the member was tossed.

It will never matter who is leading the CPC/PPC or anyone other than the 600 million dollar media funding political party. The best example is abortion. Anti-abortion laws have been completely off the table for a long time but the LPC via the media keep using this club to beat the CPC and scare the voters.

The message is already mostly controlled. The best evidence of this are all the crazy scandals that directly involve the PM. No other politician in history would have survived all of that. If Harper or any other CPC/PPC leader had been implicated in any ONE of those, the media would have beat that drum, endlessly, until the member was tossed.
Is the message controlled or does the CPC not allow Canadians any alternatives?

What do you want a urban Canadian to do? Trudeau has scandals, sure. Do you want them to vote for the CPC? Why would they? They may not want pipelines, CPC likes pipelines. They may want gun control, CPC doesn't like gun control. They like the liberal version of the carbon tax where they can use the money to buy burgers, CPC would not let them use their carbon tax money on burgers.

So they may not like Trudeau, but they cannot vote CPC. Okay, NDP then? Well, look at 2011. Progressives (and Quebec Nationalists) voted NDP. Scared the center of the LPC enough that they went CPC. Got 4 years of Harper. So voting NDP is not really a great option if a person is already determined that they don't like CPC.

Okay, maybe not vote at all. Well, a good amount of that happened in 2011 as well, same result as above.

The key here is that for a good portion of Canadians, it doesn't matter what Trudeau does, because if they don't want a CPC government, the only thing preventing that is Trudeau. So the key here, how does the CPC get to a point where 6 in 10 Canadians want nothing to do with them?

People on the right, and in the CPC seem to think that if Trudeau has scandals, they should be shoe in as the next government in order to get Trudeau out. Well, it's not working, because as it stands, people like a scandal ridden Trudeau over whatever the CPC is. Until the CPC can provide a viable alternative, its their damn fault Trudeau is reelected, not voting Canadians.

Yeah…why can’t Canadians understand that Conservatives have no interest whatsoever in influencing Canada’s existing abortion laws! 😡

Oh, wait…from….43 days ago:

Conservative MP’s abortion bill defeated 248-82 as Liberals blast O’Toole over free vote

So a Conservative private member’s bill supported by 81 fellow conservatives (representing a 2/3 majority of the 121 Conservative MPs, and by average population by riding in CPC regions, about 8,000,000 million Canadians to parliament) isn’t to be taken as any indication that the abortion issue isn’t fully resolved and left to existing legislation?

A select quote from the linked article notes the issue that many have, particularly when trying to reconcile “nothing to see here, move in” type statements from you or others that “the law exists already and there’s no desire to alter it…”
“This is in fact the seventh time since 2007 that a Conservative Member of Parliament has worked hard to limit women’s choices,” [Minister Monsef] said at a news conference.
So yeah…not unreasonable that most Canadians would feel that the majority of Conservatives want to alter laws to be more restrictive to women and their reproductive rights.

Regards.
G2G

Trudeau hitting the campaign road early.

Trudeau announces $440 million for Quebec aerospace industry​

Trudeau made the announcement in Montreal, a day after he travelled to Quebec’s Gaspé region to pledge up to $25 million to expand a wind turbine plant. The millions of dollars in federal money for Quebec come ahead of a likely election campaign, the date for which has not been set.

Yeah…why can’t Canadians understand that Conservatives have no interest whatsoever in influencing Canada’s existing abortion laws! 😡

Oh, wait…from….43 days ago:

Conservative MP’s abortion bill defeated 248-82 as Liberals blast O’Toole over free vote

So a Conservative private member’s bill supported by 81 fellow conservatives (representing a 2/3 majority of the 121 Conservative MPs, and by average population by riding in CPC regions, about 8,000,000 million Canadians to parliament) isn’t to be taken as any indication that the abortion issue isn’t fully resolved and left to existing legislation?

A select quote from the linked article notes the issue that many have, particularly when trying to reconcile “nothing to see here, move in” type statements from you or others that “the law exists already and there’s no desire to alter it…”

So yeah…not unreasonable that most Canadians would feel that the majority of Conservatives want to alter laws to be more restrictive to women and their reproductive rights.

Regards.
G2G
Yeah, it leaves Canadians with some hard math to do.

Better make sure that if the CPC win, they don't win more that 258 seats ever.

Because if they are voting at 66 percent to put restrictions on abortion, they can do it at 258 seats because at that point, they can get 170.28 votes in favour, so lets make sure they only win 240, just to be on the safe side. Now lets see where they are currently leading in each individual riding....

Wait... are you talking about the bill which sought to ban doctors from performing an abortion based on the sex of a fetus?

So of all the reasons one might obtain an abortion, 248 MPs believe that once the family finds out the fetus is a female one they should be able to eliminate it for that reason alone and perhaps keep doing so until they get a male fetus?

That Bill to me sounds like a reasonable limitation on a serious and sensitive matter. And for a party of claimed feminists, you'd think they would take steps to protect those that can't protect themselves, such as the unborn.

Which demographics do you think defeating this legislation helps most? Which demographics favor male births over female for example? Which countries discarded baby girls at birth? But this Bill and the CPC are framed as an anti-abortion anti choice.

Wait... are you talking about the bill which sought to ban doctors from performing an abortion based on the sex of a fetus?

So of all the reasons one might obtain an abortion, 248 MPs believe that once the family finds out the fetus is a female one they should be able to eliminate it for that reason alone and perhaps keep doing so until they get a male fetus?

Sex-selective abortion, pretty popular in a country that the Prime Minister admires (or at least the basic dictatorship of that country).

Sex-selective abortion, pretty popular in a country that the Prime Minister admires (or at least the basic dictatorship of that country).
And an outrageous affront - or it should be - that our half wit in chief admires China.

Reactions: QV

That Bill to me sounds like a reasonable limitation on a serious and sensitive matter. And for a party of claimed feminists, you'd think they would take steps to protect those that can't protect themselves, such as the unborn.

Which demographics do you think defeating this legislation helps most? Which demographics favor male births over female for example? Which countries discarded baby girls at birth? But this Bill and the CPC are framed as an anti-abortion anti choice.
That bill was just a way for CPC SOCONS to keep the abortion debate alive. Are sex selective abortions really running rampant in Canada? Honest question because I don’t know.

The ones that voted for this are the same ones that voted against stopping sex conversion therapies so…

And an outrageous affront - or it should be - that our half wit in chief admires China.
Meh. The half wit they had down south in the last administration admired them as well. Funny how those that hate Trudeau for that couldn’t bring themselves to hate Trump for it lol.

it all depends on whose team one cheers for.

For my part I’m no fan of Trudeau’s love for China. I’d like to see a serious joint effort by western countries to curtail China’s influence. We should stop walking on eggshells with them.

That bill was just a way for CPC SOCONS to keep the abortion debate alive. Are sex selective abortions really running rampant in Canada? Honest question because I don’t know.

The ones that voted for this are the same ones that voted against stopping sex conversion therapies so…
You're mind reading skills are terrible. But your demonstrated belief here is more evidence the media arm of the LPC has been very successful.

Meh. The half wit they had down south in the last administration admired them as well. Funny how those that hate Trudeau for that couldn’t bring themselves to hate Trump for it lol.

it all depends on whose team one cheers for.

For my part I’m no fan of Trudeau’s love for China. I’d like to see a serious joint effort by western countries to curtail China’s influence. We should stop walking on eggshells with them.
You're ignoring 45's actual handling of China while also ignoring Trudeau's actual handling of China, but these are strawman arguments anyway.

The fact is, this Bill would have prevented the aborting of fetus' based on gender alone, which was predominantly a risk to female fetus'. And most of the MPs voted against it. That my friend is very despicable indeed and not in keeping with a country professing equality and human rights, but more akin to places with deplorable human rights records like China and Pakistan.

You're mind reading skills are terrible. But your demonstrated belief here is more evidence the media arm of the LPC has been very successful.

You're ignoring 45's actual handling of China while also ignoring Trudeau's actual handling of China, but these are strawman arguments anyway.

The fact is, this Bill would have prevented the aborting of fetus' based on gender alone, which was predominantly a risk to female fetus'. And most of the MPs voted against it. That my friend is very despicable indeed and not in keeping with a country professing equality and human rights, but more akin to places with deplorable human rights records like China and Pakistan.
I didn’t bring up te straw man in the first place. But yes the media arm is very successfull but mostly because the CPC keeps beating itself up with its own hands. I am 100% in agreement with you about the media.

like I said this just keep abortion front and center and gives the LPC more ammo. Media or not. Makes no difference. But again do we actually have an issue with gender based abortions? Do we have doctors doing this? And at what scale? Are you really comparing us to Pakistan and China in that regard? What metrics are we using to analyse that?

The bill itself wasn't the issue. The problem was that it was seen by many as an attempt to insert the thin edge of the wedge (and there was probably an equal or greater number that didn't understand the effect of the bill but who merely heard "abortion" and had all their dog whistles go off)

I understand and support the concept behind the bill but the bill itself was a entirely unnecessary self-inflicted wound by the CPC. There are enough leaders and followers within the CPC who have socon beliefs and would cut loose with them if given a chance. The electorate isn't stupid and recognizes that. I'm a fiscon and am sticking with the CPC for the time being but mostly because of my utter loathing with what the alternatives are - the NDP because they are simpletons and the Liberals because of who controls that party and their penchant for putting self above country.

I'm not sure how long I can control my gag reflex, however. I was much happier with the CPC when the word "progressive" was part of their name and agenda. For Lord's sake we couldn't even get majority agreement on climate change. If the CPC spent half their effort on a proper communication platform rather then their constant campaign to wheedle a contribution out of me, I'd be a lot happier. Unfortunately the socons are still a large part of the CPC base and completely throwing them under the bus would just result in another Reform Party so one has to humour them. Talk about Catch 22.

:cautious:

Until the CPC can provide a viable alternative, its their damn fault Trudeau is reelected, not voting Canadians.

The damn fault lies, and always will lie, with voters.

So 82 of 121 voted to ban sex-selective abortions. On one of the less controversial reasons for restricting abortion, from a group that must represent the hardest socially conservative core of ridings, they could only get to 2/3 of their own membership. Hint: it won't scale linearly with larger pluralities.

I reiterate: conservatives will never elect enough members to have a working majority to do away with SSM or put in place abortion restrictions. The only way conservatives get to a majority in parliament is by electing a tranche of members who will not support those measures, because there are not enough ridings which would elect such members. The same principle applies as elsewhere: the most conservative person electable in, say, Toronto is not as conservative as the one electable in rural AB. The ceiling for parliament as a whole I doubt would ever get anywhere near 170. The threat is a boogeyman.

The damn fault lies, and always will lie, with voters.

So 82 of 121 voted to ban sex-selective abortions. On one of the less controversial reasons for restricting abortion, from a group that must represent the hardest socially conservative core of ridings, they could only get to 2/3 of their own membership. Hint: it won't scale linearly with larger pluralities.

I reiterate: conservatives will never elect enough members to have a working majority to do away with SSM or put in place abortion restrictions. The only way conservatives get to a majority in parliament is by electing a tranche of members who will not support those measures, because there are not enough ridings which would elect such members. The same principle applies as elsewhere: the most conservative person electable in, say, Toronto is not as conservative as the one electable in rural AB. The ceiling for parliament as a whole I doubt would ever get anywhere near 170. The threat is a boogeyman.
I like how you ignored the carbon tax, gun control and pipelines

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back