• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

New air mattress

Colin Parkinson

Army.ca Myth
Reaction score
This borrows the inflation bag from the old black air mattress we used to use, but seems to have some interesting features, thoughts or experiences?

I've been using inflatable mattresses for my various expeditions for years. Most of them are excellent, so it's hard to pick between them. I like the versions filled with down.... luxury warm sleeping in all conditions, but pricey.

These are worthy descenedents of the famous 'black betty' concept, except the inflation bag is usually sold separately at an extra cost. But worth it.

If weight is an issue, as in backpacking, I'd take the time to look around a bit at the (plethora of) options.

MEC has quite a few options, many with good reviews from users:

Like daftandbarmy I have used inflatable mattresses for a while. This is the one I use in late fall, winter, and early spring. Due to the down insolation inside it is a bit bulkier (still smaller than the old black betty) and unfortunately cost more than other air mattresses but I found I got a better night's sleep.

Exped Downmat Lite 5 Pump Sleeping Pad - Unisex | MEC

Like daftandbarmy I have used inflatable mattresses for a while. This is the one I use in late fall, winter, and early spring. Due to the down insolation inside it is a bit bulkier (still smaller than the old black betty) and unfortunately cost more than other air mattresses but I found I got a better night's sleep.

Exped Downmat Lite 5 Pump Sleeping Pad - Unisex | MEC

I use one of those for winter trips, but I'm tossing a coin about whether I should carry it on the West Coast Trail next month. It's slightly heavier than my Neo Air, but far more comfy.

And there, I've just outed myself as a air mattress hoarder :)

I have always found that a mix of the issued air mattress with a foam pad is good to go. It is key to put both inside the bivy bag though so they don't launch off into space in the night. If on a cot, the foam mattress with a fitted sheet over it to keep it in place is money as well.

I have always found that a mix of the issued air mattress with a foam pad is good to go. It is key to put both inside the bivy bag though so they don't launch off into space in the night. If on a cot, the foam mattress with a fitted sheet over it to keep it in place is money as well.

Coincidentally, 90% of higher altitude climbers use the same set up: thin air mattress over a z-lite or equivalent. Works great in every environment from on the snow/ ice to rocky terrain.

Back