• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Lucasfilm fires 'The Mandalorian' star Gina Carano after offensive social media posts

Jarnhamar

Army.ca Myth
Reaction score
Sad to read this today. I really liked her character on the Mandalorian. I found the Mandalorian was able to exemplify women being strong smart and awesome without it looking forced or like identify politics.

Lucasfilm fires 'The Mandalorian' star Gina Carano after offensive social media posts​

Gina Carano, who starred as the unassailable warrior Cara Dune in "The Mandalorian," won't appear in any future Star Wars projects after she shared offensive social media posts, including one that compared Nazi Germany to the current political landscape.
Lucasfilm fired Carano Wednesday, calling the social media posts she made that day "abhorrent."

Link to the dark side

I think Gina Carano signed Cara Dunes death warrant last year when she stood up to bullies on Twitter. Perpetually offended Twitter goers noticed she didn't have a gender listed on her profile, and they demanded to know why and that she put one in. When she refused she became their next crusade. Faced with bullying, intimidation and threats she threw gas on the fire by changing her gender to beep/bop/boop. Talk about sitting on your own light sabre.

She's made some contentious comments about mask wearing and voter fraud as well, but her latest tweet was the nazi reference that pulled the plug.

“Jews were beaten in the streets, not by Nazi soldiers but by their neighbors…even by children. Because history is edited, most people today don’t realize that to get to the point where Nazi soldiers could easily round up thousands of Jews, the government first made their own neighbors hate them simply for being Jews. How is that any different from hating someone for their political views,”

Government making neighbors hate each other? No idea where she pulled that idea from.

Next thing you know, she's going to make a crazy comment about neighbours being able to secretly rat each other out on a 'hotline' set up by the government. Craaazzzyyyyyy talk.

Good for her for telling people to basically bugger off on Twitter. Who cares if she fills in the gender profile? Like honestly...

The part I found most hypocritical was that in essence Disney fired an actress for her words of warning about what happened in the past, and a call to be aware of those dangers going forward. Meanwhile Disney conspires with the Communist Party of China that is currently executing a holocaust against its own Uyghur population using this exact methodology. Paint the minority as subhuman, isolate and disposses that minority as you imprison, torture and execute them out of existence, as the majority Han rush in to maximize their gains. And Disney is fine with ALL of it as long as they get their profits. So if Disney is really so "woke" maybe they should call out the CCP for their vile actions, instead of firing an actress for her potentially prophetic words.

The part I found most hypocritical was that in essence Disney fired an actress for her words of warning about what happened in the past, and a call to be aware of those dangers going forward. Meanwhile Disney conspires with the Communist Party of China that is currently executing a holocaust against its own Uyghur population using this exact methodology. Paint the minority as subhuman, isolate and disposses that minority as you imprison, torture and execute them out of existence, as the majority Han rush in to maximize their gains. And Disney is fine with ALL of it as long as they get their profits. So if Disney is really so "woke" maybe they should call out the CCP for their vile actions, instead of firing an actress for her potentially prophetic words.

Then they came for Disney —and there was no one left to speak for Disney.

It's funny, I read the articles and then found the offending tweets; even the previous ones seemed more like minor dumbass things. She's kind of an idiot for the anti mask bit, but the descriptions in the reports of what she was supposed to have tweeted was far worse than what she actually said.

Using the Holocaust or Nazis as a reference is almost always a bad idea though, unless you are talking about actual genocides or real fascist government tactics in use that got pulled out of the Third Reich playlist. Even if she didn't intend to diminish the seriousness of the Holocaust, you should probably know by now that people aren't going to react rationally when you even mention it as a comparison.

Given that she was probably already on Disney's warning list, just seems really dumb to keep tweeting unfiltered stupidity instead of letting your PR people handle things. Sure, say whatever you want, but don't complain about consequences afterwards.

While I'm not a fan of why she was fired, nor the way she was demonized by the Twitter outrage mobs, I am kind of glad she's gone.

I found he character boring, and lifeless... If it means more screen time for Katee Sackhoff, I think it's a positive for the series both from an acting, and a story perspective.

Just to play the devil's advocate role, if anyone has a friend or acquaintance who is an industrial hygienist, ask them about their thoughts on the mask mandates. I have one and to say he thinks they are a total waste of time if not enforcing N95 standards (with no valves), would be a dramatic understatement. The surgical masks and cloth masks just make him laugh (combination of huge pore size and air gaps around edges) and may do more harm than good due to accumulation of bacteria and mould on the interior of the masks due to improper cleaning. That being said he is just trying to keep his head down at the moment as there is zero tolerance for alternative viewpoints out there. He runs a real financial risk as a significant portion of his business is to municipal government and feels he cannot speak freely as he is confident it would lead to his company immediately being black-balled for future contracts. Hard to have good scientific debate when knowledgeable people are afraid to raise their voices out of fear of the consequences.

Given that she was probably already on Disney's warning list, just seems really dumb to keep tweeting unfiltered stupidity instead of letting your PR people handle things. Sure, say whatever you want, but don't complain about consequences afterwards.
Maybe. She could just be the type to speak for herself (for better or for ill) and not let a PR team speak for her. Pretty sure she even had death threats over the Twitter pronoun thing. Crazy.

When I read what she said I don't see her playing down the seriousness of the holocaust. If anything it's a pensive warning.

While I'm not a fan of why she was fired, nor the way she was demonized by the Twitter outrage mobs, I am kind of glad she's gone.

I found he character boring, and lifeless... If it means more screen time for Katee Sackhoff, I think it's a positive for the series both from an acting, and a story perspective.
I wouldn't be surprised if not fitting the Disney Princess imagine had something to do with it as well.

I wouldn't be surprised if not fitting the Disney Princess imagine had something to do with it as well.
Anything is possible, but I imagine it is almost entirely based on the Twitter mob... Some people seem totally engrossed in it.

As soon as I heard about Twitter I knew it wasn't for me. What good can be done in 144 characters? It seems like the perfect tool for dumbing complex ideas down to the most simplistic and often radical forms.

That being said he is just trying to keep his head down at the moment as there is zero tolerance for alternative viewpoints out there.

Beep bop boop. Follow the masses, wear a mask, shut up. Why do you hate grandma?

Just to play the devil's advocate role, if anyone has a friend or acquaintance who is an industrial hygienist, ask them about their thoughts on the mask mandates. I have one and to say he thinks they are a total waste of time if not enforcing N95 standards (with no valves), would be a dramatic understatement. The surgical masks and cloth masks just make him laugh (combination of huge pore size and air gaps around edges) and may do more harm than good due to accumulation of bacteria and mould on the interior of the masks due to improper cleaning.
I'm not sure how this got into a "Star Wars" thread, but here's some thoughts for your "friend":

N95 masks have to be fit tested. Who is going to do that?

N95 masks are in short supply and should be reserved for health care workers and other medical first responders.

It is already known that surgical masks don't stop 100% of the virus, however, they are effective at slowing down transmission.

As far as bacteria and mould on the inside, he's full of shit. Unless people are using the same mask for weeks on end.

Myths about Masks and Other Coronavirus Facial Coverings

N95 masks are in short supply and should be reserved for health care workers and other medical first responders.

I'll add little caveat to this, PMedMoe. Actually a big caveat: Medical personnel think too much of themselves with those N95 masks. There are other people out there who need them more than you do.

I work in two fields, that deal with abatement of moulds or asbestos for instance, and work with dangerous volatile chemicals in industrial and farm settings. We need our NIOSH N95, N99 or N100 masks, as the case may be, a lot more than medical personnel do. Have you ever noticed that standard medical surgical masks have been deemed enough for ... well even surgery, before this broke out. Before Covid 19, somehow those make were sufficient for medical purposes, unless dealing with some specific maladies such as Ebola, for instance.

I'll add little caveat to this, PMedMoe. Actually a big caveat: Medical personnel think too much of themselves with those N95 masks. There are other people out there who need them more than you do.

I work in two fields, that deal with abatement of moulds or asbestos for instance, and work with dangerous volatile chemicals in industrial and farm settings. We need our NIOSH N95, N99 or N100 masks, as the case may be, a lot more than medical personnel do. Have you ever noticed that standard medical surgical masks have been deemed enough for ... well even surgery, before this broke out. Before Covid 19, somehow those make were sufficient for medical purposes, unless dealing with some specific maladies such as Ebola, for instance.
Yes, I do agree with you. There are surgical N95 respirators as well as industrial N95 respirators, the main difference being that he healthcare versions have to be certified to be substantially resistant to fluids.

I ended up with a small amount of N95 masks before the pandemic broke. Was going to Australia and it was recommended to bring them due to the bush fire smoke covering the country. Came back just as the pandemic was starting. Wasn’t a hoarding issue or anything just bought some here before they were to become scarce.

I have a stack of P100 canister filters for a mask I have when I’m painting with VOCs or welding with zinc-plated metal...haven’t dug into those yet. Waiting til the Congo-variant of COVID hits our shore until I break out those...

Maybe. She could just be the type to speak for herself (for better or for ill) and not let a PR team speak for her. Pretty sure she even had death threats over the Twitter pronoun thing. Crazy.

When I read what she said I don't see her playing down the seriousness of the holocaust. If anything it's a pensive warning.

Yeah, that was pretty nuts. And I agree with her that the hyper partisanism is a pretty standard totalitarian playbook move, but she can't really criticize one side while supporting the other side doing the same thing.

Twitter is probably the worst platform on the internet to 'speak your mind' though. Actual nuanced conversations don't exist on a lot of the interwebs, and pretty much impossible at 144 characters.

Back