• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canadian Forces Aptitude Test (CFAT) [MERGED]

Hello everyone,

Could you please let me know where I can access practice CFAT exams? I intend to write the exam soon. Thank you very much, in advance.

soldier888 said:
Hello everyone,

Could you please let me know where I can access practice CFAT exams? I intend to write the exam soon. Thank you very much, in advance.

By clicking on the link 2 posts up from yours.

Good afternoon,

About a year ago I took the CFAT, I did really well on it and I was able to select the trade I was looking for. However, I unfortunately was not able to get into RMC and I did not want to spend my time as a non-officer so I decided to go to a civillian university and get my degree there.

I'm currently finishing up my midterms for my first semester and I've had some extra time to think about my future after my undergrad and I thought about joining the military again. The first question that came to mind was if I had to do the CFAT again.

If anyone could answer this for me it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Best regards,

SirThisIsAWendys

You only need to redo the CFAT if your score is not high enough for your desired trade.

paleomedic said:
You only need to redo the CFAT if your score is not high enough for your desired trade.

Thank you very much for the answer.

Have a good night.

Best regards,

SirThisIsAWendys

From someone with C average math 11 :poop: and a veritable degree of test anxiety.

I have been using these recently, free on the Edmonton public library website.
All you have to do is register (you can even reg without a email if you don't like giving it out)

My scheduled CFAT got canned due to covid restrictions in the area, I am taking it as a sign to study and pt more.

Practice tests

practical math ebook

I also downloaded the app "CFAT test trainer" it was 6 bucks and really helps with your spatial awareness, some of the vocabulary and problem solving questions are laughable at best though.

And don't forget that smarter people than I have proven that a certain level of anxiety going into a test can be a good thing (y)

"After the amygdala sends a distress signal, the hypothalamus activates the sympathetic nervous system by sending signals through the autonomic nerves to the adrenal glands. These glands respond by pumping the hormone epinephrine (also known as adrenaline) into the bloodstream. As epinephrine circulates through the body, it brings on a number of physiological changes. The heart beats faster than normal, pushing blood to the muscles, heart, and other vital organs. Pulse rate and blood pressure go up. The person undergoing these changes also starts to breathe more rapidly. Small airways in the lungs open wide. This way, the lungs can take in as much oxygen as possible with each breath. Extra oxygen is sent to the brain, increasing alertness. Sight, hearing, and other senses become sharper. Meanwhile, epinephrine triggers the release of blood sugar (glucose) and fats from temporary storage sites in the body. These nutrients flood into the bloodstream, supplying energy to all parts of the body."
https://www.health.harvard.edu/staying-healthy/understanding-the-stress-response

Hey guys. I have a small question.

I'm looking to get into infantry, I have my CFAT tomorrow and... Despite my weeks of studying, a lot of the questions I had to answer on the problem-solving portion of the test were just too hard for me (I have pretty bad Dyscalculia, I managed to get a derogation in maths before being done with high school.) However, I find myself having absolutely no issue with the vocabulary and spatial questions.

Do I have a shot at being an infantryman at all, or do they factor in how well you did in the problem-solving questions? Am I looking way too deep into this? :eek::eek::eek:

Hey guys. I have a small question.

I'm looking to get into infantry, I have my CFAT tomorrow and... Despite my weeks of studying, a lot of the questions I had to answer on the problem-solving portion of the test were just too hard for me (I have pretty bad Dyscalculia, I managed to get a derogation in maths before being done with high school.) However, I find myself having absolutely no issue with the vocabulary and spatial questions.

Do I have a shot at being an infantryman at all, or do they factor in how well you did in the problem-solving questions? Am I looking way too deep into this? :eek::eek::eek:
I saw someone on here saying that you only need a 20/60 overall to get infantry, so If you do good on the first two sections you should have a chance. Being a competitive percentile is another thing. Maybe someone more knowledgeable can back that up.

But seriously don't take my word for it, I know about as much as you do.... good luck on the test!

I saw someone on here saying that you only need a 20/60 overall to get infantry, so If you do good on the first two sections you should have a chance. Being a competitive percentile is another thing. Maybe someone more knowledgeable can back that up.

But seriously don't take my word for it, I know about as much as you do.... good luck on the test!
You also need to be correctable to 20/20. Just FYI

Searched the internet for CFAT + dyscalulia and came across this thread! I wrote CFAT last year and struggled with some of the questions even though I prepared/studied/bought the app to get ready for it. I was diagnosed with a math disorder in elementary school, it's fairly mild at least I thought so. I did qualify for a few trades but none of the officer ones. I had been hoping to go direct entry since I'm 90% done my university degree. They said I was pretty close to the cutoff and I could do a rewrite but I probably need to look for a new life plan. Has anyone done much better on their rewrite?

So I did the CFAT last Wednesday, and I want to state from now, I absolutely am not stating that I should have heard anything yet.

My question is this; everyone I've inquired with has told me that they heard right after their CFAT that they had passed. I however was only asked to provide some clarification regarding something on my medical form, and then I left. Does not hearing anything immediately after your test mean you didn't pass?

I'm wondering what happens next. Do I wait for a rejection email? Or is there still a chance I passed the CFAT but they will let me know at a later point? I just feel like if you didn't hear anything on the same day as you wrote the test, you didn't pass. Is this true?

I would like to preface this by saying THE CAF DOES NOT OWE ME ANYTHING, and that despite the results I received, I would serve this country faithfully in any capacity provided I am given the opportunity.

Hey all,

So I did my CFAT today and was told I didn't make the cutoff for infantry yet several tech trades that most definitely required higher scores (it's not as if I know, but I'd assume so) were made available to me strangely enough.

I'm definitely aware of my math and spatial weaknesses but I was sure I'd score high enough on all categories to at least make the cutoff for infantry, though I asked around on Reddit and was told my scores may have been enough to qualify for infanteer, but not enough to be competitive on the CL or the PCL.

I've gotten rather vague answers regarding this and the recruiting officer who sat me down for a debrief was rather vague talking about all the benefits of intel, signals, etc trying to wave a chance to get a security clearance in front of me). Wouldn't I be more than qualified for infantry if I received an offer for most tech trades and signal operator in addition to intel?

I'm rather confused and considering either requesting a rewrite or dropping my application entirely and trying again later when after a prolonged period of study and research, don't want to get shoehorned into a job I don't want. Is it possible that my results/the full list of jobs I qualified for are being withheld in favor of trying to shoehorn me into one of the more in-demand occupations? Could use some advice here fellas, thanks!

The minimum CFAT scores required for NCM trades are not entirely linear... some trades just have a minimum total score whereas others also have a minimum score for Problem Solving or a combination of Verbal Skills and Problem Solving. It is possible that you met the minimum total score for many of the technician trades but failed to meet the minimum Problem Solving score for Infanteer. It is not common but it does happen.

The recruiting staff won't withhold available jobs from you, but also are not allowed to waste resources processing uncompetitive applications.

some trades just have a minimum total score whereas others also have a minimum score for Problem Solving or a combination of Verbal Skills and Problem Solving
Sometimes you gotta just wish our recruiting system was as linear and straightforward as the American one......oh well!

The recruiting officer did offer me intelligence first and foremost due to my language skills and cultural background (middle eastern) and said a top security clearance came with it as a bonus, told me he'd be able to start processing me right then which I accepted rather foolishly so I guess that means I did something right haha. I requested a list of all the available trades I qualified for and am considering pursuing a Sig Ops career instead since it appears to be in demand and appears somewhat interesting. But if intelligence is what the CAF deems for me and nothing else of interest is available, I'll accept that. Thank you for answering me.

Out of curiosity do you think spatial also played a factor in me not scoring high enough for combat arms? I'd venture a guess and say my verbal was off the charts, my problem solving was mediocre but my spatial was just horrendous, I may have come off as having the spatial awareness of a blind moose but I suppose my brain just can't wrap around shapes and corners and angles like some people, I guess that's why it's called an aptitude test though!

Sometimes you gotta just wish our recruiting system was as linear and straightforward as the American one......oh well!

The recruiting officer did offer me intelligence first and foremost due to my language skills and cultural background (middle eastern) and said a top security clearance came with it as a bonus, told me he'd be able to start processing me right then which I accepted rather foolishly so I guess that means I did something right haha. I requested a list of all the available trades I qualified for and am considering pursuing a Sig Ops career instead since it appears to be in demand and appears somewhat interesting. But if intelligence is what the CAF deems for me and nothing else of interest is available, I'll accept that. Thank you for answering me.

Out of curiosity do you think spatial also played a factor in me not scoring high enough for combat arms? I'd venture a guess and say my verbal was off the charts, my problem solving was mediocre but my spatial was just horrendous, I may have come off as having the spatial awareness of a blind moose but I suppose my brain just can't wrap around shapes and corners and angles like some people, I guess that's why it's called an aptitude test though!

I assume the recruiting staff were trying to do you a favour.

The usual route to the Intelligence Trade is Infantry for 15 years until your body gives out, then put in for a transfer :)

I assume the recruiting staff were trying to do you a favour.

The usual route to the Intelligence Trade is Infantry for 15 years until your body gives out, then put in for a transfer :)
Honestly I can kinda see why that was the case. Combat arms experience from what I know is supposed to give Int Ops/Officers a strong understanding of military culture, particularly that of the "boots on the ground" soldier.

I hope off-the-street Int Ops are trained to a similar standard if that isn't the case anymore.

Honestly I can kinda see why that was the case. Combat arms experience from what I know is supposed to give Int Ops/Officers a strong understanding of military culture, particularly that of the "boots on the ground" soldier.

I hope off-the-street Int Ops are trained to a similar standard if that isn't the case anymore.
Hey, I am actually applying for the intelligence officer trade myself and am awaiting my call to book the CFAT. I was wondering if you could tell me how you did on the CFAT. Also, I heard that they were apparently not even hiring for intelligence officer this year, but since you were offered the trade, I am curious. Did you accept the offer?

Hey, I am actually applying for the intelligence officer trade myself and am awaiting my call to book the CFAT. I was wondering if you could tell me how you did on the CFAT. Also, I heard that they were apparently not even hiring for intelligence officer this year, but since you were offered the trade, I am curious. Did you accept the offer?
Hi, so I didn't qualify for Int O as I do not have a degree but I did indeed qualify for and request to be processed as an Int Op, currently awaiting the results of my medical.

As for the CFAT from what I know I scored lower on the spatial ability and problem-solving aspects of the test, but scored exceptionally high on the verbal portion, just maxed it out which is likely why I even got the offer, however, I'm not super confident about my chances of making it through the PCL and am considering requesting a CFAT rewrite in the future. Hope this helped

Hi, so I didn't qualify for Int O as I do not have a degree but I did indeed qualify for and request to be processed as an Int Op, currently awaiting the results of my medical.

As for the CFAT from what I know I scored lower on the spatial ability and problem-solving aspects of the test, but scored exceptionally high on the verbal portion, just maxed it out which is likely why I even got the offer, however, I'm not super confident about my chances of making it through the PCL and am considering requesting a CFAT rewrite in the future. Hope this helped
I see, do you know if they are hiring intelligence officers this year? Also how long did it take you to get the initial call? I was supposed to get it a few days ago but did not and sent them an email.

Back