• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

FBI: $10K reward for information leading to return of stolen Humvee

daftandbarmy

Army.ca Dinosaur
Reaction score
Be on the lookout for something that looks lik the former Governor's car:

FBI: $10K reward for information leading to return of stolen Humvee​

The FBI announced a search Saturday for an armored military Humvee that was stolen from a National Guard facility in a Los Angeles suburb.

The Humvee, which the FBI said is worth about $120,000, was stolen Friday morning from the National Guard Armory in Bell, the agency said in a news release.

The FBI is offering a reward of up to $10,000 for information leading to the vehicle.

The FBI described the green camouflage vehicle as having four doors. The bumper number is 40BSBHQ6; the administrative number is WV57TO-HQ06/M1165A1; and the registration number is NZ311R. The battalion number, 40TH BSB, can also be seen on the vehicle, the FBI said.

The FBI says a theft from a military facility carries a statutory maximum sentence of 10 years in federal prison.

The agency asks anyone with information as to the whereabouts of the vehicle or the person or group responsible for the theft to call the FBI's Los Angeles Field Office at (310) 477-6565.

I don’t like this at all, this gives me the heebie jeebies given the current domestic extremism security context. Am I the only one thinking this could be used to facilitate tactical surprise for something ugly?

I don’t like this at all, this gives me the heebie jeebies given the current domestic extremism security context. Am I the only one thinking this could be used to facilitate tactical surprise for something ugly?
Ever been in a Humvee? Its not making it across the country in 2 days, unless its moved in an aircraft. I doubt it would even make it if some idiot actually tried to drive it...

Ever been in a Humvee? Its not making it across the country in 2 days, unless its moved in an aircraft. I doubt it would even make it if some idiot actually tried to drive it...
Why assume I’m necessarily talking about D.C., or this week? It’s a weird thing to steal and likely a difficult thing to fence. It seems unlikely to be that this would be stolen for ‘conventional’ crime. It just doesn’t fit that pattern.

Not 'conventional' for sure, but I'll take "drunken soldiers" for $200, Alex.

But it does provide realistic cover if you wanted access to a protected area. Throw on some uniforms, drive up in a real humvee and get waved through the checkpoint.

Why assume I’m necessarily talking about D.C., or this week?
Since you've been able to buy surplus US Government humvees for probably the better part of 15 years, and you referenced a current "domestic extremism security context" for tactical surprise, sometimes 2 and 2 logically make 4 without too much of a stretch. The only current newsworthy place for the use of a National Guard military humvee to facilitate tactical suprise is in DC during the Inauguration.

If someone was going to use a military humvee for tactical surprise, they'd put much less heat on themselves by buying one themselves (or through an intermediary) from Surplus sales and modify it to current military standards with aftermarket or fabricated parts without having the FBI now on the hunt for them.

DC may be to far, but California's state assembly is not. Remember the FBI has stated there is a threat to every state capital. The nightmare scenario here is violent clashes where some capitals are breached.

I belong to some military vehicle organizations in the States. Surplus Humvees down there can't be registered for road use. It has been an ongoing fight since they were originally offered for sale. Mind, if you're using it as part of illegal activity, it doesn't much matter.

I belong to some military vehicle organizations in the States. Surplus Humvees down there can't be registered for road use. It has been an ongoing fight since they were originally offered for sale. Mind, if you're using it as part of illegal activity, it doesn't much matter.
Tangential curiosity- how come? Missing safety features or something?

Seems like either a case of...

a) troops being troops, and the vehicle may not have been stolen

b) perhaps a crime of opportunity. (See's a cool looking military Hummer, manages to steal it. Now has no idea wtf to do with it since he can't drive it on roads, and he will stand out like a sore thumb. Also can't try to slither out of being pulled over since it's armoued and the vehicle specifics are known

c) perhaps stolen for something more sinister, in regards to the current security context, as Brihard said. It may not be destined for DC, but a military vehicle in an area where NG troops are deployed is a sneaky way to commit a serious crime without drawing much attention to yourself first, and leave a lot of confused heads after until the investigation clears things up.

I'm not assuming it's any of the above, those are just my 3 guesses.

One thing that COULD be concerning, potentially - touches on what Brihard said. At the Capitol, there was a lot of ex-military and law enforcement in the crowd. If an ex-military type were the one who stole it, and they happen to have 'plans' for the near future in regards to protests or crazy nonsense like the Capitol situation - perhaps it really could be a part of a bigger/sinister plan.

I'm not sure which possibility I listed above I lean towards most. It'll be interesting to hear how it turns up tho!

Tangential curiosity- how come? Missing safety features or something?
Emission laws mostly. You have to change the engine. You're talking something like a Duromax. Then there's a myriad of different things, turn signals, etc. Most HMMWV are sold with no ownership, just an end user agreement and are sold as off road vehicles. They require a safety inspection after being upgraded. Most states don't want them on the road, so there's constant rules changes. So yeah, it might be possible where you live. Approx $15,000 purchase, another $20-25,000 (if lucky) in upgrades and hope you live in someplace like Kentucky, not California. Most guys just want to use them as show and parade vehicles. That's a lot of cash for a static display. They top out at 50-55 mph, they are much wider than civilian ones, and you need headsets to hear everyone. I got qualified at Ft Custer in Michigan. They are great in the field, not so much is Saturday traffic

Back