• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

British Military Current Events

FJAG said:
I guess having to label paintings is what you have to resort to when your education is so poor that nobody in the Brit school system knows what the Anglo-Zulu War was much less what it's genesis was.

What's next - anti-imperialism comic books?

:brickwall:

They've had those since the '60s e.g., Black Panther :)

https://readingsuperheroespolitically.wordpress.com/tag/anti-imperialism/

Post at Thin Pinstriped Line on the year ahead for British military after Brexit and with new thinking from integrated review coming down. Anything like that thinking for CAF? Note prominent public COVID-19 role for Brit forces--what impact will CAF's role have on the Army/Reserves going forward?. Also unlikelihood UK can be a major defence player in both NATO and Asia Pacific:

2021 - The Reasons For Optimism.

Mark
Ottawa

New cam scheme under trials for Brit tanks:

War Gaming: British Army unveils new pixelated Minecraft-style 'digital camouflage' that makes tanks 80% harder to spot on battlefield

• Soldiers find it harder to see tanks when they are coated with the MCDC 5 design
  • Pattern is made up of squares that look like scrambled pixels on a digital screen
  • It has slashed the detection rate of the vehicles in trials down to just 20 per cent

The British Army has unveiled a new pixelated Minecraft-style 'digital camouflage' that makes tanks 80 per cent harder to spot on the battlefield.

Trained soldiers find it far more difficult to see the machines when they are covered with the MCDC 5 design, rather than the usual 'bog standard green'.

The new pattern is made up of squares that look like scrambled pixels on a digital screen and has slashed the detection rate to 20 per cent.
37494962-9104529-image-m-3_1609521698453.jpg

🍻

I swear I used to have a uniform that looked just like this...if only I could remember where? :unsure:

Rural Netheravon... so 'nether' you have to drive for an hour for a pint of milk. Or a pint :)

Country Manor And Former British Army Officers’ Mess Once Owned By MOD Up For Sale​

Former Duke's home later used for officer training, with link to Hollywood star David Niven

Netheravon House - Strutt & Parker

A stunning Georgian officers’ mess which was briefly the residence of former British Army officer-turned-Hollywood star David Niven has been put on the market.
Netheravon House has been converted into a luxurious country pad close to Salisbury Plain Training Area and is up for sale for offers over £2.3 million pounds.
The impressively renovated property is listed Grade II* and thought to have been built in 1734.
Interior of Netheravon House - Strutt & Parker

It was originally constructed as a large villa and hunting box for Henry Somerset, the 3rd Duke of Beaufort, who used the grounds to entertain influential guests – However, in 1898, the War Office compulsory purchased its buildings and surrounding land.
Netheravon House Grounds - Strutt & Parker

Associate Director, Sarah Cull at Strutt & Parker in Salisbury who is selling the estate said:
“The house has a fantastic amount of history.
"Because the MoD had it for so long, all the original features are still there, including an exceptional Soames fireplace in the kitchen/breakfast room.
“They maintained it but didn't alter it so you have all original fireplaces, doors, deep skirting boards, a hugely gracious staircase, intricate plasterwork and ceiling roses.”
Netheravon House Staircase - Strutt & Parker

From 1904 until the outbreak of the First World War, the school of cavalry used the house and stables as their training base.
It was then transformed into living quarters for British officers training at the nearby Support Weapons Wing of the School of Infantry, where they learned to fire heavy machine guns, General Purpose Machine Guns (GPMG), mortars and anti-tank weapons.
British Army Officer and Hollywood actor David Niven decided to resign his commission after attending the machine guns course at Netheravon House. He was placed under ‘mess-arrest’ for insubordination, after a senior lecturer (Major General) asked if there were any questions and Niven is said to have asked:
“Could you tell me the time, Sir? I have to catch a train.”
Netheravon House Kitchen - Strutt & Parker

After being placed under close-arrest for his act of insubordination, Niven finished a bottle of whisky with the officer who was supposed to be guarding him.
The former military accommodation block was then converted back into a family home in 2004, which now boasts nearly five acres of land, a cinema room, boot room, tennis court and it has its own wine cellar.
Properties with this type of history and in such a great condition rarely appear on the market says Sarah, adding:
“Netheravon House is an extremely impressive, Georgian home where the incoming purchasers will not have to worry about having the ongoing costs of a large country manor.
“It is still an exceedingly spacious property at almost 12,000 sq ft with an spacious basement with the cinema room, elegant reception rooms on the ground floor and a plethora of bedrooms, bathrooms and dressing rooms spanning the other floors.
“It would suit a wide variety of purchasers, from blended families or multi-generational living, or those wanting to work from home – it could even be suitable for someone who would like an additional residence that they could lock up and leave.
“It is also extremely well located, being very accessible, within two hours of London via either the A303 and M3, the M4 or by rail.”
Netheravon House Bedroom - Strutt & Parker

The main structure was used to house officers working nearby right up until Netheravon Camp closed its doors in the 1990s and the Ministry of Defence (MoD) went on to sell the listed property and surrounding estate.
Anyone with a spare few million pounds and interested in buying the property can request a viewing through Strutt & Parker estate agents in Salisbury.
* All pictures of Netheravon House interior and exterior courtesy of Strutt & Parker.

Rural Netheravon... so 'nether' you have to drive for an hour for a pint of milk. Or a pint :)

Country Manor And Former British Army Officers’ Mess Once Owned By MOD Up For Sale​

You may have missed the "Dog and Gun Inn" and the "Stonehenge Ales" brewery and pub which are just a couple of hundred metres up the road.

🍻

You may have missed the "Dog and Gun Inn" and the "Stonehenge Ales" brewery and pub which are just a couple of hundred metres up the road.

🍻
I am seriously raiding my kids piggy banks to see if this is an option.

It's a nice looking property and not too far away from many interesting places. I spent three weeks in Bracknell a long, long time ago and we toured the region extensively. Very pretty and not a long rail ride into London.

🍻

It's a nice looking property and not too far away from many interesting places. I spent three weeks in Bracknell a long, long time ago and we toured the region extensively. Very pretty and not a long rail ride into London.

🍻
Netheravon is the home of the Army Parachute Centre. I did 1/2 of a freefall course there in 1985.

For some reason the British weather and sport parachuting don't mix well.

White water kayaking, OTOH :)

I once worked for a commander who thought adventure training was a 50 mile hike which resembled a death march and only the officers were armed. :)

That's funny Blackadder.

Here I was thinking it's a "1/2 of a freefall course" because somewhere half way down, you still open the damn chute.

Back