• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Liberal Minority Government 2019 - ????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fishbone Jones said:
Pretty well a done deal from the sounds of it. Break the rules, keep your job, screw what the voters think.

Switching gears.

What is the process for creating a national referendum on whether voters are ready to follow the PM into globalism, post nationalism and the Great Reset, as it's been called? Is there nothing, grass roots taxpayers can do to say no? If Parliamentarians are too fickle to tackle the problem, how do disgruntled citizens do it?
I know there is the, tried and true, age old solution. I'm looking for a solution without bloodshed.

Create a political party and run for office. Next election at the absolute latest will be in three years. There is otherwise no mechanism for a ‘citizens’ referendum’, unless expressly provided for by some act of government. Otherwise, get enough Canadians to actually show they have these concerns and pressure the existing slate of MPs to push back. Same solutions as have been in place the whole time our system has been around. You may not get the results you like, but that’s a peaceful democracy for you.

Forgive me for asking what may be a silly question, I haven't been following the details of parliament for a while now.  (Just because of Covid, and paying attention to other things.)

Are our current opposition parties able to challenge/say anything in regards to Trudeua's suggestion of 'the great reset'?  I know for a while that MPs were not allowed in parliament due to COVID concerns, and some of them expressed serious concerns that many important decisions were being made by the government without the usual due processes.

CBH99 said:
Are our current opposition parties able to challenge/say anything in regards to Trudeau's suggestion of 'the great reset'?
  There is only one current opposition party.  The NDP and Bloc are now Liberal "lite" and support Trudeau at almost every turn. Together they outnumber the Conservatives which allows the Liberals to have a de-facto majority government.

CBH99 said:
I know for a while that MPs were not allowed in parliament due to COVID concerns, and some of them expressed serious concerns that many important decisions were being made by the government without the usual due processes.
  A lot of parliamentary business, particularly committees, was conducted via video and teleconferences.  Teleconferences have a "mute" function.  Don't like what the opposition is saying?  Click "mute".  Voila!  Consensus.

Much as I hate to burst anyone's bubble but the Liberals, the NDP. the Bloc and the Greens combined garnered the votes of roughly 11.4 million Canadians while the Conservatives (and the Bernier's bunch) collectively got roughly 6.5 million.

Like it or not, this country is a Liberal lite country for the most part. They generally support globalism and a more socially and economically sensitive economy. The Great Reset as circulating now is a fake conspiracy theory, plain and simple, but the direction most Western countries were heading before the pandemic and certainly thereafter are definitely contrary to that which most of us in the fiscal conservative fold are happy with.

The trouble is that we can bleat and protest all that we want. Referendums, even if available, won't help. Neither will the old tried and true federal election process to throw the buggers out because in the end, the way we're heading, the majority of the population will demand that we continue down that road.

We're well and beyond political parties educating the electorate. The electorate is educating itself and the political party that can harness going along for the ride better than it's opposition, (barring any scandal that will truly outrage our blasé electorate) will win.

:stirpot:

FJAG said:
We're well and beyond political parties educating the electorate. The electorate is educating itself and the political party that can harness going along for the ride better than it's opposition, (barring any scandal that will truly outrage our blasé electorate) will win.

:stirpot:

At this point, I don't even know what kind of scandal would be necessary for people to actually care.  If none of the super shady stuff thus far has prompted the citizens to cry out for change, I honestly don't know what would.

Do they care when chatting with their friends?  Yes, outraged.

Are they internally disappointed and frustrated?  Yes.

Will some of them even jump on their computers and join the deep fryer of a CBC comments section?  You bet they will, albeit that has to be the most useless avenue ever to be heard on.

And that's it.  I've realized that most people are like fish.  The next day, they'll forget about the scandal and focus on whatever the media tells them to.  :(

CBH99 said:
Do they care when chatting with their friends?  Yes, outraged.

Are they internally disappointed and frustrated?  Yes.

Will some of them even jump on their computers and join the deep fryer of a CBC comments section?  You bet they will, albeit that has to be the most useless avenue ever to be heard on.

And that's it.  I've realized that most people are like fish.  The next day, they'll forget about the scandal and focus on whatever the media tells them to.  :(

Or, they just like to be outraged at something....anything.  :dunno:

Classic Liberal Party

PMO sends readout of Trudeau scolding O'Toole over 'COVID misinformation' in phone call. But the call hadn't happened

Shortly afterwards, Melanie Paradis, director of communications for O’Toole, tweeted, 'This is awkward. The call isn’t until 5.15pm today'

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau scolded Conservative leader Erin O’Toole over “COVID misinformation” in a telephone call on Friday afternoon, according to a statement from the Prime Minister’s Office. Except the call hadn’t happened.

According to a “readout” of the “call” sent at 4.34 p.m. by the PMO, Trudeau updated O’Toole on several issues. Then, “the Prime Minister also raised concerns around COVID-19 misinformation being promoted by Conservative Members of Parliament, given Conservative MPs recently downplayed the deaths of Canadians in Alberta due to COVID-19 and compared COVID-19 to the flu.”

I guess this is what happens when 'they"  don't let him ever go off script

Saw this in US Politics,

Bruce Monkhouse said:
No, but we still are.....so you can stop being so smug about that tired old fact.

The majority of Americans voted for the Democratic candidate in seven of the last eight presidential elections.

You can let us know when something like that becomes a "tired old fact" in Canadian politics.  :)

mariomike said:
Saw this in US Politics,

The majority of Americans voted for the Democratic candidate in seven of the last eight presidential elections.

You can let us know when something like that becomes a "tired old fact" in Canadian politics.  :)

Difficult to easily compare voting trends vs results with a Westminster Parliamentary system, against a perpetual two-party republic where the presidential candidate must win an outright majority of something to get the spot.

Brihard said:
Difficult to easily compare voting trends vs results with a Westminster Parliamentary system, against a perpetual two-party republic where the presidential candidate must win an outright majority of something to get the spot.

Right. Apples vs oranges,

Bruce Monkhouse said:
No, but we still are......

dapaterson said:
You left out "opinion piece by man paid by long time WE supporter" exonerates WE and the Liberals.

So did The Star.

More transparency.

Trudeau government won't say who got billions of dollars in aid

While some payments have been revealed, the destination of billions of dollars in aid remains secret

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/covid-spending-government-transparency-1.5826917

I realize the need for the 'money tossing', but we certainly have the right to know where every cent went.  This isn't deep black ops stuff money.....

Classic LPC demonizing of those looking for answers:

"Now is the time for us to focus on what we can do going forward to save Canadian lives and to preserve the Canadian economy," Freeland told the House on Oct. 29. "There will be a time for post-mortems, but while the plane is flying, one does not try to change the engine."

The issue is accountability, not a post-mortem that equates in any way to changing an airplane’s engine in flight. 

If Freeland wants to use an aviation analogy, is should be that we are conducting a standard in-flight systems check, making sure that all the Ts&Ps (temp, pressure) and fluids (fuel, oil, hydraulics) are all at their proper levels and that the FMS (flight management system) remains properly programmed to the correct destination.

Her response to those asking for reasonable details in the use of public funds is insulting and disrespectful to all Canadians.

Regards
G2G

Jarnhamar said:
More transparency.

Trudeau government won't say who got billions of dollars in aid

While some payments have been revealed, the destination of billions of dollars in aid remains secret

And what do you want to bet it won't ever be revealed.....

Liberals are worried you're saving too much. They want "ideas on how the government can act to unlock" those savings.

https://twitter.com/PierrePoilievre/status/1336008986068459525?s=20

Jarnhamar said:
Liberals are worried you're saving too much. They want "ideas on how the government can act to unlock" those savings.

https://twitter.com/PierrePoilievre/status/1336008986068459525?s=20

Had this discussion on FB.  Poilievre must be wearing his tinfoil hat over his ears because that it NOT what she said.  Basically, some Canadians have savings.  Those savings (if people decide to spend) could be a stimulus to the economy.

Someone remarked:  "Pierre Poilievre is the merchant of doom and gloom. He's great at stimulating mistrust but not good at suggesting solutions. What I heard is that Canadians have saved a lot of money during the pandemic and when people start spending that will start an economic recovery. At no time did Freeland say they were going to raid your bank account."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back