Engineers are one of the combat arms of the Canadian Army. The Engineers include the officer occupation of Engineer, and the non-commissioned occupation of Combat Engineer. Typical Regular Force units of the Engineers will also include some element of Construction Engineering.
Engineers perform a variety of both construction and destruction tasks on the modern battlefield; in the most modern sense Canada first had its own military engineers from 1903 and the creation of the Canadian Engineer Corps. Several name changes occurred in the 20th Century, and the Canadian Military Engineers were so designated in 1967 following Unification of the three armed services in Canada into an integrated military.
Primary Role of the Engineers
To permit friendly forces to live, move and fight on the field of battle and to deny the same to the enemy.
Secondary Role of the Engineers
To fight as infantry when required.
Motto of the Engineers
The primary unit of the Engineers is the regiment. Specific Regiments are listed below:
Regular Force Engineer Field Units
- 1 Combat Engineer Regiment (1 CER), Edmonton, AB
- 2 Combat Engineer Regiment (2 CER), Petawawa, ON
- 4 Engineer Support Regiment (4 ESR), Gagetown, NB
- 5 Régiment du genie de combat (5 RGC), Valcartier, QC
Primary Reserve Engineer Field Units
- 2 Field Engineer Regiment (2 FER), Toronto, ON
- 8 Field Engineer Regiment (8 FER), Edmonton, AB
- 31 Combat Engineer Regiment (The Elgins), St Thomas/Waterloo, ON
- 33 Combat Engineer Regiment (33 CER), Ottawa, ON
- 34 Combat Engineer Regiment (34 CER), Westmount, QC
- 35 Régiment du Genie de combat (35 RGC), Quebec, QC
- 3 Field Engineer Squadron (3 FES), Ottawa, ON
- 6 Field Engineer Squadron (6 FES), North Vancouver, BC
- 9 Escadron du Genie de Campagne (9 EG), Noranda, QC
- 31 Field Engineer Squadron (31 FES), Winnipeg, MB
- 33 Field Engineer Squadron (33 FES), Calgary, AB
- 44 Field Engineer Squadron (44 FES), Trail, BC
- 45 Field Engineer Squadron (45 FES), Sydney, NS
- 54 Field Engineer Squadron (54 FES), Chilliwack, BC
- 56 Engineer Squadron (56 FES), St. John's, NL
As part of the Land Force Reserve Restructure initiative, engineer squadrons are being incubated within The Fort Garry Horse in Winnipeg MB and another independent squadron in Chilliwack BC.