• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Arctic/Offshore Patrol Ship AOPS

My god the horror, the ships have defects. Still sailing though.
I know the crews (and dare I say ISI?) are working hard to fix them, but I can't help but throw a jaded eye upon everything the GoC buys that shows up not working as it should.

I've worked for two GoC departments over the span of the last 13 years, and I would be deeply challenged to point out a single major acquisition I've been in some way shape or form involved in or beneficiary to in terms of kit received where the kit was actually functional, fit to purpose, and well made.

It's not just DND. GoC procurement is broken, and needs to be burnt to the ground. (as has been discussed at length, elsewhere)

No need to stand up for the AOPS, even us Army peasants know that they were super fucked off the line. I'd say poisoned water supply and floods are more than mere "defects".
All I can say without going into specifics is that yes the ships have defects but some have been blown out of proportion by certain members of the media however many of these defects have been rectified as thats what we do in the Navy find solutions to problems. My current "job" is sailing on all ships of the class on a regular basis and ensure they maintain their readiness. The ships are are pretty complex platforms and the most modern we have currently. Still lots of work to be done and lots to learn. The crews seem pretty happy though.

I know the crews (and dare I say ISI?) are working hard to fix them, but I can't help but throw a jaded eye upon everything the GoC buys that shows up not working as it should.

I've worked for two GoC departments over the span of the last 13 years, and I would be deeply challenged to point out a single major acquisition I've been in some way shape or form involved in or beneficiary to in terms of kit received where the kit was actually functional, fit to purpose, and well made.

It's not just DND. GoC procurement is broken, and needs to be burnt to the ground. (as has been discussed at length, elsewhere)
I don't disagree but we have them and are working on the issues. I have about 35 years in the technical side of the RCN and I was surprised on how complex they really are. Pretty cool actually.

Back