• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

2022 CPC Leadership Discussion: Et tu Redeux

THis is the sort of headline that will make people think about voting for Team Justin:

Out on bail for sexual interference and murders the 14 year old victim.
In guess I’m missing something but what has changed regarding Indigenous violence between the past few governments? I remember reading stuff like this during the Harper govt and before.

Allocate them by percentage of popular vote in the province.
But have it the percentage of popular vote in the Provincial elections, not the Federal elections. That way the reps truly are representing their provincial party rather than following their Federal party leaders in the Commons.

Also, since Provincial elections are at different times than the Federal elections you'd get a constant turnover of Senators throughout the term of a Federal Government so you wouldn't be locked into a single voting scenario throughout the term of the Government.

But have it the percentage of popular vote in the Provincial elections, not the Federal elections. That way the reps truly are representing their provincial party rather than following their Federal party leaders in the Commons.

Also, since Provincial elections are at different times than the Federal elections you'd get a constant turnover of Senators throughout the term of a Federal Government so you wouldn't be locked into a single voting scenario throughout the term of the Government.
Precisely. And why I said half every election - give some continuity outside the provincial election cycle. Reapportion every decennial census, always rounding up to the nearest multiple of two - so a province that would receive .1 of a seat gets two until the next census.

That is literally already in the CPC policy and has been stated many times.

"86. Abortion Legislation: A Conservative Government will not support any legislation to regulate abortion."

I really don't know how that can be any more clear.
Just like Ontario NDP policy had always been "we're putting in public auto insurance" and "we won't break into negotiated contracts" - until they didn't and did (respectively) - or the federal Liberals' policy on going for a new way of electing folks - until they didn't? ;) Odd are Team Blue'll keep that tool in the tool belt, but never say never.

Just like Ontario NDP policy had always been "we're putting in public auto insurance" and "we won't break into negotiated contracts" - until they didn't and did (respectively) - or the federal Liberals' policy on going for a new way of electing folks - until they didn't? ;) Odd are Team Blue'll keep that tool in the tool belt, but never say never.
Just like Harper's secret agenda that he never implemented during his time as PM...

There is zero benefit to trying to legislate abortion but 100% certainty of angering both sides of the fight, as no matter what is suggested will be too restrictive, or not restrictive enough for both sides.

The abortion debate is nothing but a distraction and fearmongering by the LPC and NDP. There would have to be a cultural shift in the Canadian public for abortion to be on the table, and if that happened you can bet the LPC would be leading the charge to legislate it themselves.

What I see happening is people would challenge it if written into law based off the child/fetus’ right to life, liberty, and security of the person.

Just because the criminal code has a definition of when someone becomes a human doesn’t mean it will be upheld when directly taken to court. Abortion was illegal in the criminal code and it was struck down.

Odds are it would end up with a third trimester ban unless there was a serious threat to the life of the mother as the fetus/child can survive outside the mother at that point.
In order for a matter to get to the Supreme Court there has to be an initial violation of a criminal or administrative law or a civil action. I can't envision what set of circumstances would lead to a criminal charge where a fetus' Charter Rights would be argued. Maybe there is - I just can't think of one. The same for administrative law. The closest would be human rights tribunals but I don't see the grounds existing. I suppose some one or some group could try a civil action where the government is the respondent, but I'm really not that up on civil law to speculate if that is even possible. Regardless, the journey would take deep, deep pockets and might end up with the Court declining to hear it.

People can challenge what is in the law, not what's not in the law.

In order for a matter to get to the Supreme Court there has to be an initial violation of a criminal or administrative law or a civil action. I can't envision what set of circumstances would lead to a criminal charge where a fetus' Charter Rights would be argued. Maybe there is - I just can't think of one. The same for administrative law. The closest would be human rights tribunals but I don't see the grounds existing. I suppose some one or some group could try a civil action where the government is the respondent, but I'm really not that up on civil law to speculate if that is even possible. Regardless, the journey would take deep, deep pockets and might end up with the Court declining to hear it.

People can challenge what is in the law, not what's not in the law.
has there been rulings on embryos in Canada? Ownership? Disposal?

I'd like to see a reapportionment of Senate seats with half divided equally between provinces, half allocated by population (with some recognition of the territories), where half are appointed every provincial election.

That gives provincial representation plus continuity.
We already have the House for representation by population. If Senate is going to be anything, it should start by being selected by criteria other than population.

Back