• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canadian Surface Combatant RFQ

I would think that, while not as consequential in geopolitical terms, the Channel fights against U-boats and E-boats to protect the D-Day landings were pretty pivotal (and down right nasty).

But still, she is Canada's most decorated and honoured warship. Why not preserve that legacy, at least until another warship of a different name manages to rake up more battle honours than her? Why give her name to another warship that will not likely garner as many honours for herself?

P.S. Someone who knows more may chime in, but my understanding was that she was formally brought back in commission when she became the Ceremonial Flagship, as is the WWII Memorial ship HMCS Sackville when so acting.

Ok, but HAIDA is not still in commission and she did not take part in the most pivotal naval battle in the past 5 centuries.

That's very British centric my friend. There are those who would argue that Midway was pretty damn similarly pivotal. Others would put their money on the Battle of Tsushima Strait.

I would think that, while not as consequential in geopolitical terms, the Channel fights against U-boats and E-boats to protect the D-Day landings were pretty pivotal (and down right nasty).

But still, she is Canada's most decorated and honoured warship. Why not preserve that legacy, at least until another warship of a different name manages to rake up more battle honours than her? Why give her name to another warship that will not likely garner as many honours for herself?

P.S. Someone who knows more may chime in, but my understanding was that she was formally brought back in commission when she became the Ceremonial Flagship, as is the WWII Memorial ship HMCS Sackville when so acting.
I am not one to downplay Haida's contributions as she is a very important part of the RCN's history however, I don't think she is the most decorated warship. She holds 5 battle honours, Arctic 1943–1945, English Channel 1944, Normandy 1944, Biscay 1944 and Korea 1952–1953. Her sister HMCS Iroquois is tied with her for 5 battle honours in her original form and the namesake currently has 6. Some of the CPF's either match or exceed Haida's number of battle honours currently. I am fairly sure one of the MCDV's has 4 to its name as well.

Haida isn't special because of just her battle honours but the deeds of the vessel itself. I don't see any reason why the museum ship cannot exist alongside an active duty ship to continue her legacy forward within the active fleet of the RCN.

Haida is not formally commissioned into the RCN, she holds the title of ceremonial flagship but it does not carry a formal commission as a vessel of the Royal Canadian Navy, she is entirely owned and operated by Parks Canada.

A bid to have the storied Second World War destroyer HMCS Haida recommissioned has been rejected by National Defence.

Responding to an e-petition tabled recently in the House of Commons, Defence Minister Harjit Sajjan said the warship — currently in the custody of Parks Canada and docked in Hamilton — is a valued part of the country's naval history.

"While the government does not support the re-commissioning of HMCS Haida, it will designate HMCS Haida the Flagship of the [Royal Canadian Navy] for ceremonial purposes," said the written response.

"From a technical perspective, HMCS HAIDA can no longer be sailed and moving it even short distances is challenging, costly and difficult," said Sajjan's response, explaining why the government is opting for a ceremonial honour.

"While the RCN will not provide the crew, funding or any official unit designation that are usually provided for a commissioned warship in the RCN, and all responsibility for care, custody, maintenance, crewing and any other issue will remain with Parks Canada, this option will allow Canadians to honour the spirit of HMCS HAIDA at no additional cost."

The destroyer will be given an honorary commanding officer and will observe the traditional sunrise and sunset ceremonies when it is open to the public between May and October.

Is HAIDA still part of the Navy?​

No. She was paid off in 1963. In May 2018 she was commissioned as the ceremonial flagship of the RCN, but the designation is purely ceremonial

Last edited:
That's very British centric my friend. There are those who would argue that Midway was pretty damn similarly pivotal. Others would put their money on the Battle of Tsushima Strait.
Not even close.

A Midway loss by the Americans would just have delayed the inevitable Japanese defeat. The US would still have won the Pacific War.

Tsushima fundamental changed nothing, geopolitically.

A defeat at Trafalgar would have opened the door for French invasion of England. That is fundamental.

Only to the Brits. No one knows how the invasion would have turned out in the end. Plus, it didn't stop him from trying to take over the rest of continental Europe later on (War of 1812 - heard of it?). He was stopped in the end by land power at Waterloo.

Losing Midway would have set the Americans to NOT go after Japan but rather concentrate on holding Hawaii. Losing Midway (which was a much closer run thing than appears) would have meant that both the American Battleship fleet and the Aircraft carrier fleet would have been wiped out. The Pacific fleet would have ceased to exist for all practical purpose and the Atlantic fleet was nowhere near as powerful in those days.

As for Tsushima, it was called Japan's Trafalgar, so I let you decide. However, its not the results in Eastern Russia that would have mattered but the fact that the Tsar had then plans for expansion towards continental Europe, and Tsushima foiled them.

I'd argue the BoA was probably the most important campaign and specifically Naval Campaign in history.

Not the same as a singl battle, but I digress.

As @SeaKingTacco said, had Midway and Tsushima had different outcomes they wouldn't have have created the possibility of centuries of ripples that Trafalgar did.

An invasion of England would have created a whole other alternate reality in the present. The other two battles, while definitely important, don't hold that kind of generational geopolitical impact that Trafalgar did.

The Romanov dynasty was going to fall, and Japan was still going to lose WW2.

Just the opinions of moi.

And I respect your opinions. Alternate history is a difficult field.

But if the standard is "did it prevent England from being invaded", then the Battle of the Spanish Armada and the Battle of England (yes, I know an air battle - but it prevented Hitler from invading England, so ...) should count too. ;)

Back