• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Soldier Operational Clothing and Equipment Modernization

Seriously? Doesn't anyone care about saving the country money? Besides, cutting spending on clothing is easier than cutting spending on necessaries, like tanks, planes and boats....

Seriously? Doesn't anyone care about saving the country money? Besides, cutting spending on clothing is easier than cutting spending on necessaries, like tanks, planes and boats....
We need uniforms. Our uniforms require modernization. It's money the CAF can spend without TBS and PSPC fucking the dog for ten years. We're getting boats, we're getting planes, throw the Army a bone after being good corporate citizens for a decade plus and let us get some uniforms and gucci extras that are real gucci for the boys in the field. We certainly aren't getting tanks or IFVs anytime soon. Maybe new guns in a decade the way things are going.

Is our current stock of uniforms out?
No, but a lot of our current stock of uniforms is older than our troops. Teach a basic reserve side and you'll see a lot of exposed buttons on uniforms. Is there anything wrong with them? No. But do we need to keep recycling 20 year old clothes? Also no.

The higher ups also wanted to align more closely with our allies on colour and they wanted a multipurpose uniform so we don't need temperate dress and desert dress, we'll save money in the long run (maybe).
Like what?
The new multi layer merino system, new socks, new jackets, new rain gear, new battle belt, new headwear, new gloves, etc. There's a bunch of dope stuff that circulated in the catalogue of ancillary stuff under the SOCEM program that went around on the DWAN.

No, but a lot of our current stock of uniforms is older than our troops. Teach a basic reserve side and you'll see a lot of exposed buttons on uniforms. Is there anything wrong with them? No. But do we need to keep recycling 20 year old clothes? Also no.
I know a reg force soldier who tried to get the most recent CADPAT uniform top (whatever you call the mandarin collar stuff) last year and he was turned back because clothing stores still had old stock of his size they're trying to get rid of. I imagine there's still a lot of stock of the latest CADPAT.

We have the new designs being trialed right now. It just seems more economical to me to wait until the new design is ready then start pumping it out in MT colour. As it stands everyone who is getting the new MT colour in the current uniform style will just turn it back in again for the new stuff.

Unless it takes 10 or 15 years, which wouldn't be surprising.

The new multi layer merino system, new socks, new jackets, new rain gear, new battle belt, new headwear, new gloves, etc. There's a bunch of dope stuff that circulated in the catalogue of ancillary stuff under the SOCEM program that went around on the DWAN.
Clothe the Soldier 2.0

The challenge is that procurements were made based on sizing distributions from the 70s. So there are thousands of original CADPAT items that have never been issued in smaller sizes, and no stock in common sizes.

Hopefully follow on contracts are focused on delivery based on demand and not based on 1970s size distributions that are no longer valid.

Last edited:
know a reg force soldier who tried to get the most recent CADPAT uniform top (whatever you call the mandarin collar stuff) last year and he was turned back because clothing stores still had old stock of his size they're trying to get rid of. I imagine there's still a lot of stock of the latest CADPAT.

I’m still rocking the OG top. Slip on rank, small flag. Easy to roll the sleeves and no velcro nonsense putting on unit/qual/100th/sentenial crap.

I’m still rocking the OG top. Slip on rank, small flag. Easy to roll the sleeves and no velcro nonsense putting on unit/qual/100th/sentenial crap.
That’s still what I have. I had to release in 2019, turn everything in and re enroll and they issued me older stuff than what I had lol. Uniforms with exposed buttons and stuff, small flag etc etc.

We need uniforms. Our uniforms require modernization. It's money the CAF can spend without TBS and PSPC fucking the dog for ten years. We're getting boats, we're getting planes, throw the Army a bone after being good corporate citizens for a decade plus and let us get some uniforms and gucci extras that are real gucci for the boys in the field. We certainly aren't getting tanks or IFVs anytime soon. Maybe new guns in a decade the way things are going.
But then we can't run naked into battle like the Celts. We could even paint ourselves blue, not just our hair...

• Humorous
Reactions: ueo
Is there anything inherently superior to not wearing units patches?

I have never felt so ashamed of my unit that I would be embarrassed to wear a unit crest/patch.

This comes across as the same energy as the guys wearing CADPAT backed nametags years after we switched to Canadian Average Green, because the new stuff was "stupid"... Also, about the same as the young guys trying to wear out the corduroy on their combat jacket collar, so they seem less new.

I have never felt so ashamed of my unit that I would be embarrassed to wear a unit crest/patch.

This comes across as the same energy as the guys wearing CADPAT backed nametags years after we switched to Canadian Average Green, because the new stuff was "stupid"... Also, about the same as the young guys trying to wear out the corduroy on their combat jacket collar, so they seem less new.
It’s the “I have enough time in to get the old stuff” line of thinking, which kind of falls apart if new folks are also getting issued the old stuff. The current CADPAT fits better and you don’t look like a tied sausage, whether you were thin or not.

Now, I wonder how many RCN folks purposely keep their old NCDs rather than switch to the NECUs.

It’s the “I have enough time in to get the old stuff” line of thinking, which kind of falls apart if new folks are also getting issued the old stuff. The current CADPAT fits better and you don’t look like a tied sausage, whether you were thin or not.

Now, I wonder how many RCN folks purposely keep their old NCDs rather than switch to the NECUs.
Interestingly, I had been one of the old farts thinking about holding out on the NCDs... Until I was fitted for the NCEU, and realized how much better it felt to wear a uniform cut to fit a real human.

Also, I'm a petty man and I enjoy flaunting my SSI around hard sea trades with less sea time.

Who said anything about being embarrassed.

Interestingly, I had been one of the old farts thinking about holding out on the NCDs... Until I was fitted for the NCEU, and realized how much better it felt to wear a uniform cut to fit a real human.
One of the best things for CCUE will be the 2” increments instead of the current 4” increments. Fewer “too big or too small” sizes for people like me.

I believe that the US military uniforms are in 2” increments which is one reason why they look better, irrespective of body size. If you’re fit and your shirt fits normally vs like a tent, it’ll look better.

Also, I'm a petty man and I enjoy flaunting my SSI around hard sea trades with less sea time.
The kids call it “flexing” :sneaky:

Back